54G corner planted, planning stages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

middlechild

Aquarium Advice Regular
An empty corner tank is in the corner of my living room. I'd like it to be planted, with school fish. Two questions are primary in my mind. First, lighting. The hood that came with this used tank is definately old and I would have replaced it already except I can't find any lids for this type of old style tank. There is a hole cut, oblong, for a hood and I will probably just buy a hood that spans the top. Flourescent lights with a goal of 2-3 WPG. Low to medium plants is my thinking to avoid the requirement of CO2 or ferts.

The second question is substrate. My 10G has just aquarium gravel and I am growing Cryptocoryn Wentii and Java Ferns, Java Moss. I'd like taller plants such as Hornwort to fill the back corner or Water Sprite. Thinking currently, without knowing specific plants is to put in Pool Filter Sand on the bottom.

Putting in the filter, lighting, heat, and substrate would allow my cycle to start while deciding specific plants. Thoughts?

2-3" of substrate will be fine. I just switched my 36 corner over to PFS from Schultz Aquatic soil....there's a thread in the planted aquascaping forum.

A 24" 2x65 watt PC fixture would probably give you the light you need for the plants you want to grow. Corner tanks are a little tricky as most lights are set up for long rectangular tanks. But they look really cool once they're set up because of the depth.

Thanks newfound. I've pretty much given up on replacing the top from the store, a home made lid might be in order if I can find the right materials.

I was confused by the lights in the LFS because the fixture states 2x65 yet all the replacement bulbs were marked 17w.

The substrate and filter will go on this weekend to get the cycle started, while I continue my quest for lights. Although the wife suggested moving the tank and its better to do it empty of course :)

i think with 2-3 wpg you should consider co2.

and to start your cycle you need some waste. just putting the things you mentioned in there won't start the cycle you need ammonia. are you planning on doing a fishless cycle?

I learned about the cycle about a year ago with my 10G. I plan on putting in substrate, water, heater, rocks and HOB filter with Java Moss from existing established aquarium and dose with ammonia to start the process. monitor levels daily before moving fish. I have a 6" Pleco looking for a bigger apartment :)

CO2 is not in my plans currently, so keeping light levels low for fewer plant choices is acceptable

If the replacement hood problem could be solved, then the process of cycling would be underway. But I have to fudge a light source.

Back
Top Bottom