55 Gal f/w tank - I want to get a GREAT filter. Which work best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 Gallonn freshwater tank w/ an oscar, 2 parrots, blue jack dempsy, firemouth, shovel nose cat, & 2 others who I have forgotten their species names.

I feed them frozen cube food (Cichlid Delight) every day, or every other.

I currently use a Marineland filter that fits to the rim of the tank, & I assume I bought the one for a 55 Gal or possibly one stage higher.

I really want to keep my water clean though & I'm willing to spend what I have to if a better filter will give my fish a better environment.

CAN ANYONE SUGGEST WHICH FILTERS WORK BEST?

I've been told to go with under gravel filters but don't really know much about them.

PLEASE, GIVE THIS GUY SOME ADVICE!

Thanks!

Welcome to AA :)

PLEASE, GIVE THIS GUY SOME ADVICE!

Thanks!

My advice is to get a bigger tank! You'd be, IMHO, fully stocked with those fish in a 150g tank. You're going to have issues no matter what filter you go with unless you get a bigger tank or rehome the majority of those fish.

I have to agree with mfdrookie. Your issues might be bigger than a great filter. I use a fluval 305 on my 55 african cichlid tank. Not a problem so far. Will get the fx5 when I upgrade.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum. :)

I agree with both mfdrookie and carey. you have to many fish.. as for filter I sugguest fluval 305 or bigger. the cost a little more than others but well worth it. I have one and I'll never get another brand.

Thanks for the welcome & the advice!! Funny you guys alllllll suggest a bigger tank because I just told my girl that we need a bigger one for these fish & we can use this 55 to be our salt tank.

When me and my girl get a new place, I'll be getting a 90-125 but for the next 6mos at least I just wanna upgrade to a better filter.

They all seem pretty content in the tank together too. The firemouth is a lil 'hidey' but hes new, along with the jack. My oscar is about 9-10 inches and the rest of my fish are within 3-5 inches, except my cat who is about 6. My oscar slightly chases everyone once in a while but he doesnt attack anyone. All in all its a pretty harmonious tank.

I do know the size that each fish can grow too, but wouldnt a 55 gallon for all of them stunt their growth a little? I was under the impression a fish could only really grow to the size its environment lets it....??

All help is appreciated!! Thanks!!

Just wanna add, that my amonia and ph levels are perfect. I didnt need the filter to solve a problem, I was looking to kinda overkill the cleanliness of my already clean tank lol :)

It's true, a smaller tank can stunt the growth of some fish- but it won't stop the growth.

From what I've read, this doesn't apply to cichlids anyway, especially Oscars.

Your Parrots will probably get around 10in each, but that will take a while. Your Oscar will keep growing. If his mouth is big enough to fit around your others, it's just a matter of time before he fills his stomach. I've heard many stories about tanks like yours eventually ending up with a sole Oscar.

I actually have one in my 70gal with a couple of Parrots and mixed Africans. I'm giving the Parrots to a good friend. My Tiger Oscar is beautiful. He's only about 5in now, but he's going to have to move on soon. :-( I've been thinking about a 30gal just for him. Seems wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom