55 Gal Saltwater New Setup Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fmjets11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
55 Gal Saltwater Help, Powerheads, Setup?

Hey Guys,

First post here just want to say that this has been a great resource in planning out a saltwater tank.

My first question is about water flow. In my 55 gallon I am planning on having 50lbs of live rock, 30-40lbs of live sand (not sure what I am going with yet), fluval 406, coralife 125 and an aquaclear 70 (and of course a basic jager 200w thermometer).

Do I need anything else as far as essential gear to start up the tank? I am planning on letting the live rock cure until the tank is done cycling and possibly a little longer just to be safe.

Do I need a powerhead for more circulation even if I am just doing a Fish and Live Rock tank?
If so should I get 2 powerheads (thinking the Hydor Koralia 750's)?

And also, anyone have any recommendations for live sand/live rock? I have heard mixed reviews on getting "Live" sand or rock. Some say there is no such thing online and others say some sites are great.

Thanks for your help in advance.

p.s. I know I am probably going to get yelled at for choosing canister over refugium but I a would rather upgrade to one down the road.

There are some of us running canisters. Maybe you'll get a hang on back refugium in the future.

Your list sounds good.

SRC

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think that is enough flow or would I need a powerhead?

And also, anyone have any recommendations for live sand/live rock?

I can't say much for flow as I don't know what sort of flow those filters would produce. I have a 60 gallon saltwater tank set up but I run two powerheads and a skimmer.

I'd say you'll still need powerheads. There shouldn't be any dead spots and I don't see filters creating all over flow. You want any detritus to remain in the water column ( not settling) so that it can be picked up by whatever filtration you'll be using.

I'd look into a HOB skimmer over the filters down the road. If you're not setting up a sump. Those sorts of filters aren't the best for saltwater as they can become a nitrate factory if not cleaned often enough. Though a canister might be more useful in a FOWL over reef. Still can't go wrong with a skimmer though.

Someone with more experience would have to speak on flow regarding those filters and such.

I wouldn't worry about the "live" part of the sand. The sand sits on the shelves and in an airtight bag, not going to be much life there. It'd save you money to just go dry.

For rock, I like Macrocks, that's where I got my dry rock. It's very nice, porous rock and their prices are pretty great too.

I have a 55 reef and I use the Fluval 406. I still have 3 PHs (a 500 and 750's) the keep from having dead areas. I also use an Aqua C Remora S skimmer and It's great; highly recommend getting a skimmer rated for bigger than your tank. Make sure you clean out all the parts of the canister every week to prevent nitrate problems. As long as its cleaned weekly, the canister won't be a problem. It only takes me 10-15 minutes to clean it now; I've had a lot of practice. :)

I actually did order a Coralife 125 skimmer.

So it would have the following:
Coralife 125 Skimmer (not the best but I needed a HOB for a decent cost)
Fluval 406
Aquaclear 70

What other powerhead should I add in?

I actually did order a Coralife 125 skimmer.

So it would have the following:
Coralife 125 Skimmer (not the best but I needed a HOB for a decent cost)
Fluval 406
Aquaclear 70

What other powerhead should I add in?

That depends on what you want to do with the tank. A reef tank with softies would require less flow than one filled with sps. I'd say the main goal while deciding which way to go is to ensure when you feed there aren't any dead areas where uneaten food can build up and cause nitrate/parameter issues.

This same statement can be said for your canister filter. There are those who keep reefs with them, but do so with caution as withotu proper maintenance they are a haven for buildup and causing nitrate problems. I personally know I wouldn't maintain it as needed, so I do not use one.

Yea I plan on maintaining it pretty well. I just dont want to buy the fish and they die bc I dont know what I am doing. Trust me the effort will be there that wont be a problem. I am more concerned in choosing the right equipment.

I am running a fluval cannister filter also I have korelia 750 power heads in my 55 gallon.

It's been up for a year and had a few issues in the beginning and just recently had hair algae problems but they have cleared up with more frequent water changes and less feeding. Also added purigen and chemi pure elite to my filter.

Good luck!!! I would definitely get power heads!

Back
Top Bottom