55 gal setup question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I found a deal online for $150 for 3 aquariums(55 gal, 30 gal, 10 gal) all come with hoods, light, and filter. It also came with a 200 watt Fluval heater thermometer; air pump, line, and tube, API master test kit, and water care accessories. So I figured that was a good deal. I think I'm going to setup the 55 gal with the heater in it and place a undergravel jet system I have laying around in it and run the air stone tubing in the back ground and cover it with gravel, deco, etc. So I guess my question really is, Is this a good setup or not and what can I do to change it to make it better and I also have no idea what I'm putting in it... I was thinking of a cichlid so that is why I asked this question here.

when i mean background i mean in the back of the tank... Hope this won't confuse anybody

Welcome to AA! :)

The 55 would be a good setup for a cichlid tank. I have mbunas (from lake Malawi) and if you go with them you could have appx 20 4" fish in there. With cichlids though you do need to over filter and you need lots of rocks and very few, if any, plants. Do you know what kind of filter came with it? Or how many gallons per hour it cycles? Also do you know how to cycle a tank (nitrogen cycle)?

I believe Aqua tech 30-60 filter but I have a 20 gal sump for a fresh or saltwater tank laying around i can fix up and it was for a 100 gal filtration. I can also buy a second HOB filter need be. I have cycled many tanks before so I know about the nitrogen cycle and I will be doing the fishless cycle just seems more humane too me personally. I will have driftwood and stone setup possibly some moss or little floaters just enough to help the nitrates. I have looked at Africans and New World, I just really like both in color and personality so its hard to make a decision but more input may help as I look them up more.

RAH said:
I believe Aqua tech 30-60 filter but I have a 20 gal sump for a fresh or saltwater tank laying around i can fix up and it was for a 100 gal filtration. I can also buy a second HOB filter need be. I have cycled many tanks before so I know about the nitrogen cycle and I will be doing the fishless cycle just seems more humane too me personally. I will have driftwood and stone setup possibly some moss or little floaters just enough to help the nitrates. I have looked at Africans and New World, I just really like both in color and personality so its hard to make a decision but more input may help as I look them up more.

Great! I prefer fishless cycling too, especially for spendier fish. Lots of people keep driftwood in cichlid tanks. I'm not sure about SA cichlids but Africans prefer a higher ph. Note: driftwood lowers ph (but is necessary if your going to have a pleco), while limestone and crushed coral raise ph. Having a crushed coral sanded would work great for that. :)

As for filtration, if you can get the sump running and use the current filter that would be perfect. Whichever you decide to go with or have any questions keep us posted!

Looking forward to your decisions! :)

Every cichlid keeper has their preference over which Side of the lake they prefer: some new world, some old world. Asking "what should I get?" isn't gonna yield the best answers. So let me ask you a few questions that will better help everyone to help you decide :)

1.) what are your favorite colors?
2.) do you want peaceful, aggressive, or in between?
3.) do you want a single specimen, a pair, or a community?
4.) are you open to more than just cichlids?
5.) what is the pH of your tap water (let the water sit for 24 hours for best results)?
6.) what is the main purpose of the tank? Children? Relaxation? Showing off? Etc.
7.) how much time are you able to devote?
8.) do you want rare or common?
9.) are you open to online ordering for fish?
10.) what type of environment do you most want to replicate? Rocky lake? Sandy river? Well planted lake?

Let's start with those :)

1. Orange, Green, Blue are my top 3
2. Semi-Aggressive; I want something that won't be pushed around, but at the same time, I don't want Mike Tyson on steroids in my tank killing everything he/she see, and I know that won't matter if they are aggressive if I only had a single fish or a pair that get along.
3. I'm open to any
4. Yes
5. 6.8-7.2
6. Show off yet personal with me
7. Much as needed
8. Rare would be nice but I can work with common
9. Yes but not sure where to buy from but I can also get my lfs to order fish need be
10. I plan on working around the fish/ fishes. I want to provide them with the best home for them second to the wild ;)

I hope this info will help!

TheGrza said:
Might I suggest peacocks?

May you list a few speices so I can look them up to see if I like them?

RAH said:
May you list a few speices so I can look them up to see if I like them?

Sunshine, ruby red, Jacob friebergi, there's a bunch. The aulonocara order is sizable and displays a great color pallet depending on the species. Go nuts. Google is your friend.

RAH said:
Well I found a deal online for $150 for 3 aquariums(55 gal, 30 gal, 10 gal) all come with hoods, light, and filter. It also came with a 200 watt Fluval heater thermometer; air pump, line, and tube, API master test kit, and water care accessories. So I figured that was a good deal. I think I'm going to setup the 55 gal with the heater in it and place a undergravel jet system I have laying around in it and run the air stone tubing in the back ground and cover it with gravel, deco, etc. So I guess my question really is, Is this a good setup or not and what can I do to change it to make it better and I also have no idea what I'm putting in it... I was thinking of a cichlid so that is why I asked t question here.

Beware the undergravel filter as they tend to clog up...nothing like tearing down a tank only to clean it..stick with your hob&nice canister rated for double your the tank size filtration..

I'm aware of that, but I'm installing undergravel jets not filter, but I do know the pump has it's own set of problems.

Back
Top Bottom