55 gal tank DANGEROUS nitrate/trite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AshaKayx3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I'm new here and new to aquariums in general. I have a 55 gal tank with 2 red parrot cichlids, 2 Danios, 1 pleco, and one irredescent shark. My one parrot started turning blackish/brownish so I had the water tested. The nitrate/trite levels were literally OFF THE CHARTS. I panicked and bought the nitrate stuff the girl recommended. I used two dosages and went to check the water again. It didn't go down so she recommended a 50% water change. I did that, still no change. The girl gave me another product to try. Nothing. Now my one fish is dying and I have no idea what else to do. The water is also more cloudy. It seems the chemicals have made it worse!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello! I'm new here and new to aquariums in general. I have a 55 gal tank with 2 red parrot cichlids, 2 Danios, 1 pleco, and one irredescent shark. My one parrot started turning blackish/brownish so I had the water tested. The nitrate/trite levels were literally OFF THE CHARTS. I panicked and bought the nitrate stuff the girl recommended. I used two dosages and went to check the water again. It didn't go down so she recommended a 50% water change. I did that, still no change. The girl gave me another product to try. Nothing. Now my one fish is dying and I have no idea what else to do. The water is also more cloudy. It seems the chemicals have made it worse!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi, what products are you using? Also is your test kit solution/vial? If your test kit is cardboard strips they are not accurate but ime under read. API freshwater master test kit that does ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph is recommended.

How long has the tank been running and is it cycled?

Assuming your tap water used for water changes is fine (you should test in case as sometimes tap water can be high in ammonia), then water changes with gravel vacs and half feeding are your best bet. Unfortunately that can be daily until sorted.

If tank has been running for several months and is cycled, I find a filter clean will lower my nitrates (as removing a lot of waste out of system). Filter cleans should be done in old tank water on water change or treated tap water.

Nitrates are not you main concern the nitrite is the thing that's the most deadly, nitrates are the final breakdown of the nitrogen cycle and affect fish at our above 60+ ppm for a long period of time.

Anything over zero on NITRITE is cause for alarm, I agree with the above post, api master Liquid test kit, good filtration, even you do partial water changes what product do you use i highly recommend prime if you can get it in your area, I would do partial water changes 3 times a week like 15% mon/wed /Fri , gravel vacuuming maybe 1/4 of the substrate each time , leaving the 1/4 you didn't vacuumed alone so you don't kill your bio bed let it rest for Sat /sun and check the water again the following sat /sun, even using prime is 1 ml fur every 10 gallons you REPLACE so if you add 20 gallons of water you use 2 ml prime.

Also any changes to the tank, filter change or anything?

Back
Top Bottom