55 Gallon Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just got a ton of tanks and filters and hoods and lights and lids(lol) off Craigslist. So I'm using one of the 55s as a show tank. It will be sand and flourite substrate with live plants and DW. I will build the stand. But while we wait for the stand to get done, I'm going to figure out a stocking list. Something like this-
6 panda cories
6 peppered cories
4 male guppies
8-10 female guppies
1 Angelfish
1 Bristlenose Pleco
2-6 Otoclinus
6 Penguin Tetras
1 German Blue Ram
1 German Gold Ram
1 Peacock Eel
Any suggestions?

Wait- I'm going to change that list-
12 Guppies (1M:2F)
6 Julii Cories
6 Peppered Cories
1 Bristlenose Pleco
10 Neon Tetras
10 Penguin Tetras
10 Harlequin Rasboras
1 German Blue Ram
6 Otos
2 Peacock Eels
10 Cherry Barbs

emerald76 said:
6 Julii Cories
6 Peppered Cories
1 Bristlenose Pleco
10 Neon Tetras
10 Penguin Tetras
10 Harlequin Rasboras
1 German Blue Ram
6 Otos
2 Peacock Eels

You took out the pandas :( lol. Anyways I would just be careful that the bristle nose and the Otos both get enough food. Other then that I don't see a problem in your stocking. What's the plan for the other tanks? ;)

6 Julii Cories
6 Peppered Cories
1 Bristlenose Pleco
10 Neon Tetras
10 Penguin Tetras
10 Harlequin Rasboras
1 German Blue Ram
6 Otos
2 Peacock Eels
10 Cherry Barbs

That is kind of alot for a 55. I'd only do 6 cory's and one peacock eel so there is adequate substrate space without crowding plus the GBR is going to mostly stay low. Also 52 small fish not including the ram is alittle much. You are going to end up with alot of guppy fry from from 8 females. You'd do better with just the 10 neons, 10 rasboras, and 10 cherry barbs and 4-6 fancy guppy males. One BN pleco would be fine and you could do oto's if you wanted. So in my opinion this would be a much better size list of fish for a 55g (I have 2-55g so I know exactly how big they are).

6 cory cats
1 peacock eel
1 GBR (which should be added after tank has matured for a few months)
1 BNP
6 Oto's
10 neons
10 rasboras
10 cherry barbs
4-6 male fancy guppes

Samzter said:
You took out the pandas :( lol. Anyways I would just be careful that the bristle nose and the Otos both get enough food. Other then that I don't see a problem in your stocking. What's the plan for the other tanks? ;)

Fishroom!!!!
In other words, lots of guppies!

Rivercats said:
That is kind of alot for a 55. I'd only do 6 cory's and one peacock eel so there is adequate substrate space without crowding plus the GBR is going to mostly stay low. Also 52 small fish not including the ram is alittle much. You are going to end up with alot of guppy fry from from 8 females. You'd do better with just the 10 neons, 10 rasboras, and 10 cherry barbs and 4-6 fancy guppy males. One BN pleco would be fine and you could do oto's if you wanted. So in my opinion this would be a much better size list of fish for a 55g (I have 2-55g so I know exactly how big they are).

6 cory cats
1 peacock eel
1 GBR (which should be added after tank has matured for a few months)
1 BNP
6 Oto's
10 neons
10 rasboras
10 cherry barbs
4-6 male fancy guppes

I'll kick the neons but I can't exactly get rid of the guppies as they are currently in a ten. With cories.
How about-
6 peppered cories
6 Julii cories
1 peacock eel
1 GBR
6 Otos
1 BNP
6 harlequin rasboras
6 cherry barbs
12 guppies
6 Penguin tetras
Fry will be eaten or sold to my LFS.

Samzter said:

Wait- I'm getting two opinions here. I'd like to keep all but can't be sure wether I can

Don't you know everyone is going to have thier own idea of what a good stocking level is... lol. That list should work since you have an outlet for fry. Understand I'm one of those less is better for the tank people. Plus in my opinion if you get so many fish or so many different types it begins to look like a crowded hodge podge. Also be sure to give your eel a couple different hiding places since you'll most likely only see him at night.

You know it is your tank so you can add what you want but on a serious note you need to read up alot on silver tips... they tend to be very nippy and I'd be kind of worried about the guppies, especially the males tempting tails.

Rivercats said:
You know it is your tank so you can add what you want but on a serious note you need to read up alot on silver tips... they tend to be very nippy and I'd be kind of worried about the guppies, especially the males tempting tails.

I know they can be really nippy and I only want them if I can find very bright ones. Don't worry I won't be knocking off anyones advice, unlike some do. Not referring to anyone here. Plus only one of my guppies has a big tail and he is the fastest one.

Reworking the entire stock(AGAIN)- lol
This time around I want every fish to be under 3-4 inches. I'm actually considering doing a full on giant nano tank but really need my guppies in a bigger tank.
15 guppies(no fry worries, I can easily get rid of them)
6 Cherry Barbs
10 Peppered Cories
2 male Blue Mickey Mouse Platy
1 Bristlenose Pleco
6 Harlequin Rasbora
3 Otocinclus
2 Kribensis
2 GBR

Just watch your Kribensis, they can be mean little fish and really mean when breeding. I used to keep them and finally just gave my pair their own tank to rule.

Just watch your Kribensis, they can be mean little fish and really mean when breeding. I used to keep them and finally just gave my pair their own tank to rule.

Hmm, well if I have that problem I can either find them a new home, or find some random empty tank in the fishroom for them. All my tanks, even my displays, are moving down there. Its going to be drywalled and painted and all that.

Lets fix this krib problem and change them to Apistos

Hmm, well if I have that problem I can either find them a new home, or find some random empty tank in the fishroom for them. All my tanks, even my displays, are moving down there. Its going to be drywalled and painted and all that.

Lucky you with a fish room but aren't you going to miss having at least one tank upstairs?

Nope because I'll be spending all my time downstairs lol! Plus, my two upstairs tanks get water underneath the glass on the dresser I have them on(I know, I know) when I clean them or my cories splash water over the side and I have to drain both tanks to get the water out. It's happened twice now. That way I can go down there, read a book or use the forum, watch tanks, and clean tanks and ship fish and net fry all at the same time! Yay me lol

Sounds like you need to add a mini fridge and microwave and then you'd be set... lol.

Back
Top Bottom