55 Gallon Central American Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DinoManDraves

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon, it's about half-way done with cycling. I have a piece of driftwood and several rocks in there right now. I have a total of 4 caves, 3 with the rocks, 1 with the wood. It has a sand bottom, and I plan to add java ferns and moss. I have a emperor 400 Power filter as well, providing 80 gallons of filtration.

Based on what I've read, a single-species set-up is preferable, but I really would like a community of cichlid species. I would also like a species of catfish that does not hide, (I was thinking petricula catfish) and a species of small-medium sized pleco that also does not hide (Which may be impossible)

What, in your opinion, would be a suitable community of central American cichlids in a 55 gallon? Or would a single-species set-up be the way to go? I am thinking about dwarfs, but they are not many dwarfs available to me.

Are you thinking dwarf cichlids or full sized?

If dwarfs you can try rams, apistos, keyholes,. If you don't mind a bit of non- authenticity, kribs (african) would work too.

If you're going the larger ones I would suggest firemouths, convicts, some of the acara species. These all stay smaller than jack dempseys (which could be fine depending on if they got full size or not they can get up to 12 inches fully grown)

Cichlids - South American Cichlids

Pictus catfish are really fun, they don't get huge and work well with SAs. I keep pictus, featherfins and loaches with my JDs and jewels (yep they're africans mixed with SAs)

Plecos that don't hide? Umm let me know when you find that species. Now as far as smaller species go, bristlenose are common and stay small, I have a chocolate/albino female that is only 3 inches, I believe bulldog plecos stay small too. I kno there's other but can't remember them all off hand.

I was thinking about some of the larger species. Sorry about asking about the plecos not hiding, I realized it may be impossible to have one not hide.

I would do the dwarfs, but locally, they are not available.

I was thinking about mixing some of the larger cichlid species. I really like Convicts, but I think I will only get one female for my tank due to aggression.

Firemouths also appeal to me, and I would like to have more than one. I worry however, that breeding might cause some serious aggression.

Honduran Red Points are also available to me, and I would love to add them as well.

I was thinking of a plan like this-

1. 1 Female Convict
2. 2 Honduran Red Points
3. 3 Firemouths
4. A Bristlenose Pleco
5. 2 Pictus catfish

I worry this might be very over-stocked. I would like to eliminate some fish and add a Jack Dempsey to the mix, but I fear this is asking for trouble. I do not think Blue Acaras are local.

Regarding the larger cichlid species, what would be manageable as far as a mixed community? Thanks for your help.

This plan is probably impossible, but I'll still ask-

1. 1 Jack Dempsey
2. 1 Convict
3. 2 Firemouth
4. 1 Honduran Red Point
5. 2 Pictus cats

In a 55 you'd be pushing it.

The firemouths are more aggressive than places let on. We have a pair that bullied our JDs and Jewels (that was before they started spawning) after the first spawn they turned into evil finned beasties. We had to move them to their own tank. Seriously, they had our JDs and jewels cowering in the corners (120g tank) The pictus could have cared less about them.

Convicts can be nasty lil snots too. I have no experience with the red points.

Maybe all female convicts or firemouths? No spawning attitudes that way.

Oh and the reason I'm not saying much on the JDs is because we started with ours in a 55g and I felt so bad about the cramped space.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom