55 gallon community Tank? Fish compatibilities.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dulcisveteranus

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 55 gallon tank is done cycling. I was thinking about getting these fish and wondering if they are compatible.

2 Angelfish
1 Elephant Nose
1 Bristlenose Pleco
3 Siamese Algae Eaters
2 Torpedo Barbs
8 Cherry Barbs

Are all of these compatible with each other?

I wouldn't go with the elephant nose or torpedo barbs. Elephant nose fish are incredibly shy and the torpedo barbs are very active and social fish.

Never had cherry barbs but from what I hear they are fin nippers so id be careful with them and the angel fish

I wouldn't do 3 Siamese algae eaters. Or even 1... They are mean. Mine ate 3 fish over night and he was only 1.5 inches long... They all get to 11 inches. Too big for your tank!!

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Sorry I just realized you said "Siamese" not "Chinese" disregard my message!!

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

I already have Siamese Algae eaters in my 40 gallon. They are with my beta and some shrimp. They all seem to be doing fine. I also have plenty of leftover driftwood I collected from the beach. Maybe I can make some sort of a cave for the elephant nose.

List of fish:

1 African Brown Knife

2 Rope Fish

3 Weather Loaches

1 Elephant nose

You can go with those fish for a 55 predator community :)

Never had cherry barbs but from what I hear they are fin nippers so id be careful with them and the angel fish

Cherry barbs are very peaceful and don't even need to be kept in large groups like other barbs. I have a trio in my community tank, no issues with them at all!

The elephant nose won't cope with any of those fish. It wouldn't be able to compete, and they also need 55 gallons to them self.
Mine coped fine with tank mate's when he was small but as soon as he matured and I had him over a year he became aggressive too every fish I had.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Elephant Nose is best kept as a species only. As long you are getting SAE and not CAE that's okay. Angels should be fine until maturity. Denison barbs also like groups of 5+

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Last edited:
Cherry barbs are very peaceful and don't even need to be kept in large groups like other barbs. I have a trio in my community tank, no issues with them at all!

I had cherry barbs and in school numbers of 3 to 7(I tried playing with balances) they were very nippy, especially towards slower moving fish with lots of fin. Same experience with tigers, I'm now apprehensive about many barbs.

Back
Top Bottom