55 Gallon Cracked Frame And Bowing Floor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodcatl493

Aquarium Advice Activist
This tank had been sitting for almost a year since I got it from my neighbors. I took it out once and cleaned the gravel and glass. As we were putting it away we set it down a little too hard and the frame cracked. Is this tank still usable? And when it's sitting on the floor it rocks side to side. It seems as if the floor is bowing up... Any thoughts? IMG_20170706_160613.jpgIMG_20170706_160606.jpg

I wouldn't use it. 55 gallon tanks are usually listed fairly cheap on Craigslist. Might get a 55 with stand, gravel, filter and lights for under $200.
If you do decide to keep it, good idea to reseal.

A quick look yields the same results... Pretty cheap! I also looked at frame replacement and it's just easier to get a new tank. Thanks!

Well, when I get enough money for the project, I'm going to replace the bracing ($30) and do a leak test. If everything goes well, I'm going to use that fish tank. If not, well, at least there's not 55 gallons of water on my carpet!

You still should reseal if the tank has been sitting that long. $15 of silicone will do it I just resealed my 55 sitting for 6 month I had some cracks in my plastic I used no16 acrylics cement. My cracks weren't as bad as yours. You can seal over the old silicone as long as its clean and make sure the new silicone seals to the glass. I reseal any tank sitting more than 3 month without water.

You could look up dustins fish tank and look up how to make a ghetto fish tank and there's a thing on there which he shows you how to fix cracks it's not the best looking thing but it works

Okay. I'll check those out. I also found out the tank was made in 1992 so resealing it sounds like a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom