55 gallon filtration- opinions please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, as many of you know I've decided not to merge my 20 and 29 community tanks together. I will be keeping the 29 for my new angel and keyholes. I will still be tearing down my 20 and moving all of the fish over to the 55, planting it, and adding a few discus that we have here at the store. I am using a Fluval 204 on the 20 gallon, and I will be moving that over to the 55. I was trying to decide whether adding another 204 would be adequate, or whether I should add a 304 instead. I'm working on the assumption that discus wouldn't like a lot of current, otherwise I would choose the 304 for sure.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated, and cross your fingers for my re-sealing project!!! :p

Hmm...I've heard fairly bad things about fluval canisters (excepting the FX5). They apparently allow a lot of water through (bypassing the media I mean) inside. Have you tried Tetratecs EX series? I swear by them! :)

I would actually run the 55 off the EX1200, and that would be enough.

I haven't had any problems with the Fluval, so I wasn't planning on replacing it. I would rather add another filter to it, as I don't really have a lot of money. :wink:

I've never even heard of the Tetratec EX, and when I Googled it, I only saw European websites come up. Is is available in the states? It looked pretty nice, but if it isn't available from the supplier of the LFS I work for, I can't buy it. My employee discount is too good to pass up so I'm pretty much limited to Fluvals, Filstars, and Eheims (which I still can't afford with the discount). :p

I would think a pair of 204s would be more than adequate. With one at each end you would get great water movement.

Another 205 would probably be ok but the rena xp series is on sale at big Al's right now and you could get a xp1 or even xp2 cheaper that a fluval 205.

Ooh Renas are good, and I don't blame you on the Eheim front severum: I've wanted one for a while but they are soooo much more expensive here than the Tetratecs!

I'm sure the Fluvals are fine: I just heard those usual scare stories like you do whenever you google something too much! If I looked hard enough I'd probably not only find my Tetratecs have some flaw but also I could have bought them cheaper somewhere else...'tis the way of things!

A pair of canisters would work just fine then I'd think: two 204s :) You could always opt for a decent internal power filter in tandem with the existing 204, for a good spray output? Eheim do internals too: maybe a good Eheim internal would cost about the same as a Fluval 204 external?

I couldn't get the XP1 cheaper than the Fluval 205, because I would be able to get the Fluval for wholesale price and not pay shipping. I'll probably just go with that. I do have an XP1 on another tank and I really like it too, so that was a good idea anyway. I appreciate the opinions! I don't really care too much for internal filters so I know I will end up choosing a canister instead.

I couldn't get the XP1 cheaper than the Fluval 205, because I would be able to get the Fluval for wholesale price and not pay shipping

Hook a brother up I need 2 405's :) I'll come pick em from your house.

Sorry, I don't think the boss would appreciate that too much. I checked out the Big Al's price on the Filstars like you said, and it's really not much of a difference from what I would pay- excellent sale! Why not just grab a couple of XP3's while the price is good?

I got my Eheim ECCO 2233 on Ebay for way cheap (like $55)! Sure it was used, but it was in GREAT shape and it has performed flawlessly on my 55 in conjunction with my Penguin (also an Ebay snag). Check there. You could possibly score the filter you want at a cheaper than you could get even with your discount. Just my .02 ;)

Why not buy an emperor filter, the 400 series I mean. Or you could go for the Magnum 350 with the Bio-wheel attachment. Those magnums, from what I have heard and read, seem like they are excellent in terms of durability, effectiveness and price.

umm, a tetra 60 works fine on my 55 gal, and i got 7 gouramis that is has to clean up after. i know its a HOB, but if it'll save some money, and get the job done...

a 204 should be fine. just make sure you have a prefilter on those. the fluvals can get gunked up fast in a planted tank.

I really want a canister. I think they do a better job with filtration, are much more quiet, and allow you to get the tank as close as possible to the wall. My house isn't too huge, so that in and of itself will be important to me. Plus, I just don't want to look at a filter hanging on my tank. I do use multiple Emperors in other tanks though, and I like them for what they are- definitely the best HOBs along with Aquaclears. crazyred, I will check out Ebay, that's a good idea and one place that I don't often check for aquarium supplies.

Back
Top Bottom