55 gallon lighting recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zebbie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice.
Anyone know of an affordable lighting system for a 55 gallon? I only want to spend at most $130, as I will also be buying a pressurized co2 system for the tank as well. I want to at least grow medium light plants.
Thanks again for the help.

:welcome: to AA!
I'm.not the greatest when it comes to plants Haha just to get that out of the way. I wouldn't worry so.much about c02 if it comes down to that or lights. I believe the lights are more important. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this for ya

I would look into T5HO 2 bulb fixtures for medium light. Just be sure to check customer reviews on the fixtures your interested in and be sure the fixture has a good reflector. You could always check into LED's also but I can't help you on them.

Thanks you guys, I meant that I only have $130 to spend on lights because I already ordered the co2. Since I have co2 does that mean I will automatically need high light? Or can I shoot towards a medium light fixture instead? So far I only have low light plants (anubias, java fern) but I do want crypts and swords too. I bought florish and root tabs. A mixture of sand and gravel for substrate. Anything else I should consider purchasing? Right now I just have cfl bulbs for lighting along with stock lights.

Medium light and CO2 is fine IMO. I would seriously consider a few stem plants such as Rotalas, Ludwigia, Bacopa, Corkscrew Vals, just to name a few. You don't want all your plants to have the same shape. Example: having all swords and crypts give you all the same type rosette growth. When scaping you want to have groups of plants with different leaf textures and even different colors.

The only other thing I think you need to consider is doing dry ferts, which are very cheap and last a very long time. This is the micro/macro package I suggest: Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

Then 3 of these dosing bottles, one for nitrates, one for potassium and phosphates, and one for micro's.... Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums

You'll also need some root tabs since you have sand/gravel which is inert.

Here is an article about dosing PPS-Pro with dry ferts. It give the amounts and mixing/dosing info. Only read the openning post for the information it has.... Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central

Back
Top Bottom