55 gallon lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soupcan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I plan to have a heavily planted 55 gallon tank with low to medium light plants. no co2. I have allowed myself a tight budget for this tank so anything below $100 would be great. I dont know but that might be an unrealistic price. The more i research lighting the more i get confused. Help is greatly appreciated on what type of lighting is needed.

If your having no co2 you'll need a good substrate, and good lighting as well. I dual t5 high output lamp should be good enough. You won't get them under 100$ in stores but online you will.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ca/viewitem?itemId=290714414859&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=48297185696
There's a link to eBay, the dual lamp is online 60$ plus shipping. It's a sweet deal.
If you want to look more just type in "t5 lighting 48" dual" and some should come up. I'm guessing your tank is 48" long

Yeah it is 48" long. Thanks for the link! The t5HO wouldn't cause a huge algae bloom would it? Thanks again! I can't believe i forgot to check ebay!

No it shouldn't! I have dual t5 on my 55 right now, I have the lights running for 12 hours a day, and theres very little Alge :p every 2 months or so I scrub the front glass a tiny bit!
No problem glad I could help!

The dual t5 is the antic blue n white ones? And I have that is that enough light for corals?

Back
Top Bottom