55 Gallon Low-Tech / Low-Maintenance Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
McLumpy said:
I received my order from Big Al's today and I was extremely impressed! They packaged all the items really well and nothing was missing. Their shipping dept definitely knew what they were doing and I couldn't be happier w/ my first purchase! :D

I haven't opened the boxes containing my fixture or bulb yet, but I have no doubt that they made the trip ok. There was so much bubble wrap around them that I had to use a knife to cut it off, (and managed to cut my finger in the process lol).

Anyway, it looks like I have some work to do. (y)

New toys are almost better than new fish and you have the weekend to play with them :D.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Partial UGF / Light Fixture Installation

I was a very busy gal this evening and was able to successfully complete my project! (y)

Partial UGF Installation:
I had considered posting a step-by-step of the installation, but really there's no need as many here know how to setup an UGF. The only difference w/ my project was I didn't use grids that extend the entire length of the tank. I used this 15/20 gallon UGF.

For the mostpart, it was a lot easier than I had anticipated. The only thing that was a challange was moving the gravel from the sides of the tank to the middle. The majority of my fishies were pretty good though and stayed on the opposite side of the tank. However, my Tetras were very interested in what I was doing and kept sneaking over to get a better look. lol

The Marineland Penguin 550 Powerheads that I'm using are doing a wonderful job! The one on the left side of the tank seems to be making some noise, but it's not too annoying. I'll look into that tomorrow and see if I can't correct the problem. I'm sure it's nothing major. I have a full view of the tank bottom and can see no waste particles under the grates. I will continue to monitor this and hope it continues to stay clear.

Light Fixture Installation:
I must admit, I was a little skeptical about purchasing the Coralife Aqualight Dual Linear Strip T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, but I'm impressed! :D

For a $30 fixture, this thing is amazing!! As previously posted, I had to purchase the Saltwater version of this fixture and just purchased a 6700k T5 bulb to be used instead of the Actinic bulb. I now have a full 56w of beneficial light for my plants.

And, yes, I included pictures, (don't mind the water spots lol). :D

Attachments

• AA-Aq039.jpg
    AA-Aq039.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 137
  • AA-Aq040.jpg
    AA-Aq040.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 127
  • AA-Aq041.jpg
    AA-Aq041.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 136
  • AA-Aq042.jpg
    AA-Aq042.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 155
McLumpy said:
I was a very busy gal this evening and was able to successfully complete my project! (y)

Partial UGF Installation:
I had considered posting a step-by-step of the installation, but really there's no need as many here know how to setup an UGF. The only difference w/ my project was I didn't use grids that extend the entire length of the tank.

For the mostpart, it was a lot easier than I had anticipated. The only thing that was a challange was moving the gravel from the sides of the tank to the middle. The majority of my fishies were pretty good though and stayed on the opposite side of the tank. However, my Tetras were very interested in what I was doing and kept sneaking over to get a better look. lol

The Marineland Penguin 550 Powerheads that I'm using are doing a wonderful job! The one on the left side of the tank seems to be making some noise, but it's not too annoying. I'll look into that tomorrow and see if I can't correct the problem. I'm sure it's nothing major. I have a full view of the tank bottom and can see no waste particles under the grates. I will continue to monitor this and hope it continues to stay clear.

Light Fixture Installation:
I must admit, I was a little skeptical about purchasing the Coralife Aqualight Dual Linear Strip T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, but I'm impressed! :D

For a $30 fixture, this thing is amazing!! As previously posted, I had to purchase the Saltwater version of this fixture and just purchased a 6500 T5 bulb to be used instead of the Actinic bulb. I now have a full 56w of beneficial light for my plants.

And, yes, I included pictures, (don't mind the water spots lol). :D

Looks really good and I like the little cottage :D.

That's cool going old school with the UGF. Please keep us up to date on its functionality down the road. Who knows, maybe you're going to start a new trend ;).

Thanks, guys! :D If this ends up cutting down on how long it takes for me to do partial water changes, I will be extremely happy! Now all I need are some plants. ;) Speaking of which, the Amazon Sword is still doing well, eh, despite having some holes in a few of the leaves. Yeah, I don't know who did that. :rolleyes: Gotta love Plecos!! lol

Also, I decided to use a moonlight that I only keep turned on for a few hours. Believe it or not, it's just my undercabinet LED light strip. lol I decided to "test" it out and it makes the tank look awesome! I think I paid $15 or so for this fixture, so it's a way cheaper alternative than buying specialized moonlights or low-light LED's. If I can find one that plugs in, (rather than using batteries), that would be great!

Here's a pic of what it looks like...

Attachments

• AA-Aq044.jpg
    AA-Aq044.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 122
Update Time

Yesterday I performed the first pwc after the addition of the partial UGF setup. So far everything seems to be working well! (y) There is a little bit of waste that has collected near the inside edge of the grate, but it's not horrible. When I vac'd the gravel, I skimmed the edge of each grate and was able to suck up the majority of the waste.

I also added a few more things...

Extra HOB Filter
I had an extra HOB filter on-hand, so I decided to add it to the left-rear of the tank. So, now I have (1) single-basin HOB filter, (1) double-basin HOB filter, and (2) UGF's w/ powerheads. Let me tell ya, my water is crystal clear! ;)

New Air Pump: Tetra Whisper 60
My other air pump just wasn't cutting it, so I bought a new one and hooked it up to a 3-way air regulator. Yeah, buddy! We have airflow!! :D

Now it's time for the fun stuff...

Plants
So far I have an Amazon Sword, (in gravel), Anubias, (attached to Mopani wood), and Anacharis, (in gravel). My good friend and fellow AA member, Daileene, had sent me Wisteria and Cabomba, and I should be getting those tomorrow.

I'm not really wanting to have a heavily planted tank, so here's my thought for additional plants...

~ Crypts, (1) Brown / (1) Green
~ Marimo Balls

As you can see, I have plenty of background plants. Does anyone have suggestions on mid and foreground plants that would work w/ a 1wpg setup?

TIA

Dwarf hairgrass is a good one. Sounds like it's coming along, now where's the latest pics please? :D.

I love Dwarf Hairgrass! :D But, IIRC, it's a medium-high light plant. :(

Oh and I didn't take any (new) full tank pics yet because I'm waiting for the 2 plants that Daileene sent to me.

In the interim, here are some pics that I took tonight, (a close-up of my Sword and Anubias and my Pleco cleaning up the algae. lol) I updated my profile album w/ more pics, so feel free to check those out. :D

Attachments

• AA-Aq052.jpg
    AA-Aq052.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 98
  • AA-Aq047.jpg
    AA-Aq047.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 95
Great to hear about the updated.
Sounds (and looks also) that the extra HOB filter is a plus for the water...this confirms the saying " over filtration never hurts".

Great looking plants, specially the ones on the driftwood.

Now you have me thinking about the UGF for my tank!! Lol...

McLumpy said:
I love Dwarf Hairgrass! :D But, IIRC, it's a medium-high light plant. :(

Oh and I didn't take any (new) full tank pics yet because I'm waiting for the 2 plants that Daileene sent to me.

In the interim, here are some pics that I took tonight, (a close-up of my Sword and Anubias and my Pleco cleaning up the algae. lol) I updated my profile album w/ more pics, so feel free to check those out. :D

It's the only suggestion I have, sorry :(.

Close-up pics look great :).

Thanks, guys! :D

Mr. Limpet... the Dwarf Hairgrass was actually a great recommendation! :D I would love to have something like that for my Mollie fry! I'm sure there's a low-medium light plant out there that looks like DH.

There was the Mondo Grass that I bought, eh, that wasn't fully aquatic. lol Yeah, that's currently sticking out of my single-basin HOB filter. I have the roots in a small plastic container w/ some gravel at the bottom. The roots are the only part of the plant that's submerged. It looks pretty cool. I figure I'll keep it in there until it gets warm enough to plant it near my pond. :D

Speaking of plants... the package that Daileene sent to me didn't arrive today. :mad: It was scheduled to arrive on Saturday, but I was unaware that we didn't have mail delivery on that day, (it was being shipped to my work). So now, USPS is going to feel the wrath of McLumpy! :black:

Don't mean to hijack your thread. I have a similar tank 36x18x18 inches tank with 4 x 18 watts t8 tubes. I have amazon plant, cabomba and wisteria. I don't add lots cause in the end only two or three species flourish in low light tank. Mine is quite similar to walstad approach using soil based substrate with gravel on top. This tank has been set up for 5 months. No filter, no waterchange up to today. Just top off the evaporated water. Both fauna and flora thriving. Even my mollies breeding. I stock it low. Four zebra danios, four sword tails and four mollies and one platy which i used for cycling. This is my first post and glad to share some of my experience with you.

Attachments

• 31102010459.jpg
    31102010459.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 88
  • 28102010450.jpg
    28102010450.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 06032011707.JPG
    06032011707.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 69
Speaking of plants... the package that Daileene sent to me didn't arrive today. :mad: It was scheduled to arrive on Saturday, but I was unaware that we didn't have mail delivery on that day, (it was being shipped to my work). So now, USPS is going to feel the wrath of McLumpy! :black:

so sorry about all these delay...talked to a rep from USPS today. I wasn't happy with their reply. PM you with it.

so sorry again...

Don't mean to hijack your thread. I have a similar tank 36x18x18 inches tank with 4 x 18 watts t8 tubes. I have amazon plant, cabomba and wisteria. I don't add lots cause in the end only two or three species flourish in low light tank. Mine is quite similar to walstad approach using soil based substrate with gravel on top. This tank has been set up for 5 months. No filter, no waterchange up to today. Just top off the evaporated water. Both fauna and flora thriving. Even my mollies breeding. I stock it low. Four zebra danios, four sword tails and four mollies and one platy which i used for cycling. This is my first post and glad to share some of my experience with you.

Welcome to AA greenworld. Your tank looks good. I am glad to know that your walstad approach has been working with you. I am doing one tank that has a soil at the bottom too but that's just about the walstad I have. I have filter and other stuff that a commercial tank have. But it's cool to see your setup. Thanks for sharing.

so sorry about all these delay...talked to a rep from USPS today. I wasn't happy with their reply. PM you with it.

so sorry again...

Are you going to say "sorry" in all of my threads? lol :tongue:

Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Micro Sword Aquatic Plant I'm trying out these, so far I think they hate my gravel but otherwise not doing to badly

There we go! Thanks for the link! :D Have you purchased from liveaquaria before? From what I've seen and heard, shipping costs are outrageous when ordering plants online.

Oh and Mr. Limpet... I was on a plant site today, (can't recall which one), but it showed that the Dwarf Hairgrass is in the low-high light category. Now I'm wondering if this is accurate. Meh. I'll look into more once I get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom