55 Gallon Non-Photosynthetic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamokie01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I usually post on a few different boards but I am trying to get as much different input from different sources as I can. Like the title says I will be putting together a 55 gallon non-photosynthetic tank. I will be using a phytoplankton reactor to constantly drip a freshwater Nannochloropsus culture into the tank as topoff water, so as to provide a constant food source for the corals. I will NOT be using a protein skimmer because I want a high nutrient level in this tank. So to assist in filtering the tank without a skimmer I will be using an environmental gradient in the tank and creating a cryptic zone populated by sponges, tunicates and bi-valves that will use dissolved organics and phytoplankton for nourishment. The tank itself will have a strong flow but the cryptic zone will have a very diffused and slow flow, it will also have limited entryways for large particulate matter and detrius to buildup inside. Im just wondering if anyone has had any success in setting up a cryptic zone in their tanks or has any words of advice to offer. Thanks for any input.

8O wow!! good luck. Check with marine biologists.That's a lot of work for a tank. What is the purpose??

Back
Top Bottom