55 Gallon Tank Cycle w/ Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquarium Advice Activist
I made the conscious decision to cycle with fish to share with the community an alternative approach to the initial setup process. I have read all the literature, and I simply feel that it is better to cycle with living fish.

Here is my setup-
55 Gallon Tank
2 Rena XP1 Canister Filters
HOB Protein Skimmer (CPR Handcrafted)
Coral Life 4 X 65 watt 48 Inch Dual Satellite
Rena Heater 70 watts
40 lbs Aquarium Sand
10 lbs Live Sand
6 – Damsels
Live rock will be purchased once my local fish store, has some interesting pieces.

Here is a brief snap shot of my parameters.

Time Date Ammonia Nitrate Nitrite Alkalinity pH Temp Salinity Notes 7:39 11/20/2008 0.25 20 1 300 7.8 79 1.0226 healthy looking fish

Time Date Ammonia Nitrate Nitrite Alkalinity pH Temp Salinity Notes7:24 11/21/2008 3 20 1 300 7.879 1.0236 healthy looking fish

Time Date Ammonia Nitrate Nitrite Alkalinity pH Temp Salinity Notes 7:20 11/22/2008 3 20 0.5 300 7.878 1.023 Topped off water.

Time Date Ammonia Nitrate Nitrite Alkalinity pH Temp Salinity Notes7:12 11/25/2008 2.5 20 0 300 7.878 1.0215 brown film has appeared on all sand and fixtures.

My problem is what are you trying to prove? You will cycle a tank just like you would if you put a piece of shrimp in there. You wont do it any better or any faster whether it`s fishless or with fish. There is one difference though. The fishless way is more humane and will not harm or put any fish in dire straits as your way will do. So As I say You have nothing to prove to me as your little experiment is not proving one single thing except to prove that you dont care about the inhabitants of your tank. Just think if the shoe was on the other foot.

BTW some good reading if you are up to it.

Humane way to cycle your SW tank

Last edited:
Yeah I am with MELOSU you have nothing to prove. Your cycling with fish. Like he says thats In Humane. Fishless cycle is way better than having your fish suffer. But anyways :peace:this is what I think about your Cycle..

:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

One thing I want to stress is that we are not trying to gang up on anyone. Everyone has the right to do what they want to on their fish tank so I really dont want everyone going off. My point is that it is impossible for your cycling with fish to be as you said "better" then the fishless way and vice versa. Both ways are being cycled by an ammonia source. The "only" difference is the way that the fish are being treated. Your statement "I have read all the literature, and I simply feel that it is better to cycle with living fish" is totally impossible to prove. I know the fishless cycle is a passion with alot of us but we have to be civil about it.

I agree with the rest. If this post goes out of hand we will have to lock it.
Good luck to your fish and your future husbandry.

Agree with melosu... different strokes for different folks. But I just have one question...

You state that you think it is "better to cycle with living fish."

Why?

Update-

Time Date Ammonia Nitrate Nitrite Alkalinity pH Temp Salinity Notes 7:37 11/26/2008 2.5 20 0.5 300 7.8 79 1.021 cleaned film off glass, protein skimmer very active

?? good luck

It is progressing as expected for 1.75 weeks. I have another 6.25 weeks or so before I think I will be adding anything else.

I am surprised at how closed minded everyone is regarding differences of opinion. Remember that there are many ways to skin a cat, and they all have their advantages and disadvantages...

It is progressing as expected for 1.75 weeks. I have another 6.25 weeks or so before I think I will be adding anything else.

I am surprised at how closed minded everyone is regarding differences of opinion. Remember that there are many ways to skin a cat, and they all have their advantages and disadvantages...

People aren't closed minded. They're just concerned about the happiness and health of the fish.

It's well known and understood that high ammonia levels are very stressful, harmful, and potentially fatal to fish. I think people don't understand why you're subjecting live fish to the extreme stress when you could be accomplishing the exact same thing with no animals and a few ounces of household ammonia.

How many ways are there to skin a cat?? have you tried alternate methods?? And why would you skin a cat?? what are the advantages and disadvantagesto skinning a cat? Wouldn't be so good for the cat I would assume. :puppydogeyes:

Then I'll ask again...

You state that you think it is "better to cycle with living fish."

Why?

Everyone's entitled to do things how they see fit - and there's more than one way to do things. But you seem to have drawn your own opinion that cycling with fish is truly the best method, and I'm curious what led you to that opinion.

Not looking to start a fight or anything... just curious.

I agree. Just tell us what you are trying to prove? Show us how your way is better? That`s your words not ours.

Time Date Ammonia Nitrate Nitrite Alkalinity pH Temp Salinity Notes 6:02pm 11/30/2008 2.5 20 0.5 300 7.8 79 1.0215 6 healthy looking fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom