55 gallon tank large rock safe placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmyno13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting a cichlid tank and have a few questions about stacking rocks. I have a center brace under my tank and my stand have support all around the edges and under the center brace. It is not a solid bottom. Seeing that this is only a 55 gallon tank my rocks are not that large. I have a few big ones and was wondering what is the best way to place these in the tank. I know cichlids love to move around sand so some of my stacks will be siliconed. I have read some about the egg crate method but not sure that would be the best idea. So if you can give me some ideas that would be great.

Go to the hardware store and buy light diffuser grate. cut it to size of the tank and put it in first then substrate and rocks. It will distribute the weight and keep rocks from scratching or cracking the bottom.

I am worried about when the cichlids start to dig and root around that it will expose the the diffuser and also when it comes time to clean up and sift the sand it will make it even more difficult.

It will but they will only dig to the diffuser instead to the glass bottom. Put the rocks on the diffuser then the sand.

I put my rock in first and I usually by fake rock for the base pieces. U can usually get pieces that are flat on the bottom but look like a real rock for the rest and then put down my sand. U can also use a gel type super glue and under water epoxy to glue ur rocks together vice u get the how u like them but it makes it hard to move them later. It goes super glue gel to rock the epoxy the amother dab of glue gel on other side of epoxy ball and push it onto the other rock.

I also have a 55 with lots and lots of rock..probly 70 lbs at least..maybe 100..I used pool filter sand which I put in first then laid the rocks in..tank bottoms are surprisingly stronger than. You might think..I think you'll be ok

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom