55 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arkiejim1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Howdy, folks! I'm a newbie to this web site. I've read through most of this thread and would like to post a few comments:
1) I have had a 55-gallon tank for several years. I rarely do a water change or clean the gravel. I just change the filters monthly...or when I think of it. I top-off the water when it gets low. But we are on well-water, so there is no chlorine.
2) I have two plecos that were perhaps an inch long when I bought them. They are now over 8 inches. They live forever as long as they don't get ick.
3) Have two corys and two rosy tetras that have been around for about 3 years. In other words, this tank is UNDER-populated.
4) I just bought the "55-gallon plant kit" from "liveaquaria.com" and received them last week. I was busy so I just dumped the whole mess in there. I still don't have them all planted yet. Before this I had some barely suriving plants that I bought from Wal-Mart as bulbs in a sealed package.
5) I decided to finally get serious about this tank. I had my first aquarium when I was in 6th grade. I'm now on the downhill side of 50 years old.
6) I'm lazy. LOL!

My point is this...I think a lot of people get too serious about water-changes, testing the PH and all that stuff. In my experience it isn't all that difficult. Now a salt-water tank would be an entirely different story...and that is something I don't think I'll ever want to have! Salt-water fish are beautiful but I don't have time for the maintenance.

I joined this forum to check on picking up some native rocks for the tank. I own 13 acres in northeast Georgia and have a creek with some interesting rocks in it. As for the discussion about driftwood, that scares me. My wife had a piece of ocean driftwood that was decades old when we decided to put it in the tank. The plecos have actually been eating it and it is less than half its original size! Bizarre! But picking up a piece of wood and throwing it in the tank...no way!

Later!

Arkiejim (GA transplant from AR)

Welcome to AA! I'm in Ga too. You should look into the local clubs.

1) I have had a 55-gallon tank for several years. I rarely do a water change or clean the gravel. I just change the filters monthly...or when I think of it. I top-off the water when it gets low. But we are on well-water, so there is no chlorine. I would love to be on well water. Changing the filters and not doing water changes is about the worst combination I can think of though.
2) I have two plecos that were perhaps an inch long when I bought them. They are now over 8 inches. They live forever as long as they don't get ick. They likely should be a foot long by now and have already outgrown a 55.
3) Have two corys and two rosy tetras that have been around for about 3 years. In other words, this tank is UNDER-populated. The tank is far from "UNDER-populated". It is overstocked. The cories and tetra are just stocked in inappropriate numbers.
4) I just bought the "55-gallon plant kit" from "liveaquaria.com" and received them last week. I was busy so I just dumped the whole mess in there. I still don't have them all planted yet. Before this I had some barely suriving plants that I bought from Wal-Mart as bulbs in a sealed package. What lighting is on the tank?
5) I decided to finally get serious about this tank. I had my first aquarium when I was in 6th grade. I'm now on the downhill side of 50 years old. 50 is the new 30. :)
6) I'm lazy. LOL! Can relate.

Too funny!

Where at in Georgia? I'm the boonies of Oglethorpe County...just east of Athens.

Howdy, folks! I'm a newbie to this web site. I've read through most of this thread and would like to post a few comments:
1) I have had a 55-gallon tank for several years. I rarely do a water change or clean the gravel. I just change the filters monthly...or when I think of it. I top-off the water when it gets low. But we are on well-water, so there is no chlorine.
2) I have two plecos that were perhaps an inch long when I bought them. They are now over 8 inches. They live forever as long as they don't get ick.
3) Have two corys and two rosy tetras that have been around for about 3 years. In other words, this tank is UNDER-populated.
4) I just bought the "55-gallon plant kit" from "liveaquaria.com" and received them last week. I was busy so I just dumped the whole mess in there. I still don't have them all planted yet. Before this I had some barely suriving plants that I bought from Wal-Mart as bulbs in a sealed package.
5) I decided to finally get serious about this tank. I had my first aquarium when I was in 6th grade. I'm now on the downhill side of 50 years old.
6) I'm lazy. LOL!

My point is this...I think a lot of people get too serious about water-changes, testing the PH and all that stuff. In my experience it isn't all that difficult. Now a salt-water tank would be an entirely different story...and that is something I don't think I'll ever want to have! Salt-water fish are beautiful but I don't have time for the maintenance.

I joined this forum to check on picking up some native rocks for the tank. I own 13 acres in northeast Georgia and have a creek with some interesting rocks in it. As for the discussion about driftwood, that scares me. My wife had a piece of ocean driftwood that was decades old when we decided to put it in the tank. The plecos have actually been eating it and it is less than half its original size! Bizarre! But picking up a piece of wood and throwing it in the tank...no way!

Later!

Arkiejim (GA transplant from AR)

Don't worry that you have a rare wood eating pleco, they all do, nothing to worry about! I'm
Im I'm Georgia as well! I actually just added rocks to my 55g tank, I got them out of a friends creek. Just be sure and scrub scrub scrub them really well and boil them. You can put a few drops of white vinegar on the rocks, as long as they don't bubble they should be good to go for your tank once cleaned.

As HN1 said.. Hardly any water changes and changing the filter media out is a bad combination. The BB (beneficial bacteria) that builds up in your filter media that converts ammonia and nitrite to nitrate is what your taking away when you change your filter media. That's not a good thing. To high ammonia and nitrite levels will essentially kill fish, and this is what happens when you change your media. Think of it this way... If you were the one living in water like your fish would you want to be constantly be in an environment with poop and all that nasty stuff? Without water changes that poop just sits
There... The only way it gets removed is by water changes. Once your tank cycles weekly water changes is all that's needed. If the work of water changes is a bit scary.. Check into automatic water changers such as pythons. Makes things a lot easier.

Water changes

Water changes aren't scary...they are just a pain! LOL! I know I need to do it monthly, but I'll bet the new plants are happy!

Jim

I agree with HN1. I'd be curious to know your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in this tank. Changing the filter media regularly is pretty much throwing away any beneficial bacteria that the tank has to keep it cycled and safe for fish. With monthly water changes, I suspect the nitrates are sky-high which is bad for fish as well.

You might want to give this a read: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom