55 planted tank! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone ever used any type laterite for underneath sand? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Some people prefer to dirt their aquarium. Its a cheap way to get a nutrient rich aquarium for heavy planting but it does come with its disadvantages. The two that come to mind (personally i only use PFS) are a heavy nutrient leak at first and its messy when uprooting plants.

Has anyone ever used any type laterite for underneath sand? :)

I did once for a planted tank a very long time ago. It's an iron rich clay based product. I don't hear about its use very much these days. Not sure why that is.

Fresh do you have a planted tank now? And what do you use now then?

Fresh do you have a planted tank now? And what do you use now then?

Does he have a planted tank?? Ooooo you're in for a treat..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Please....
I use EcoComplete supplemented with Aqua Fertz root pellets and recently DIY Osmocote+ root tabs. PPS-Pro dry ferts, Glutaraldehyde, pressurized CO2, planted+, FugeRay over a 20g long. I have a few fish in there. Tank started out with crypts and swords and migrated to primarily stem plants. It has been running about two years with plants. Has gone through about a dozen revisions and I had a LOT of help from this site along the way.
Here is a recent pic:
ia0BIYk.png

Pretty sweet looking fresh! :) I like it!

I have to ask has anyone heard of sliver dollars doing well in a planted tank, this tank is mainly my girlfriends investment and I'm just doing research and looking up stuff so she doesn't turn off one of my big hobbies. She loves her silver dollars but I heard they are a no go in planted tanks :/ we have moneywort in the tank now and they don't bug it? I need help

Silver dollars get massive and eat plants like it's a full time job with paid vacations..

Silver dollars get massive and eat plants like it's a full time job with paid vacations..

+747382

My silver dollars are enormous and they mow plants. It's like using a weedwhacker on a dandelion. You put it in there and you're watching them like hey this might work out. Go get a soda, come back and there is no more plant. Just leafy flesh stuck to the filter intake and maybe a stem floating all sad on the top. I've tried a couple of times. The only things they've left alone are java moss, and water lettuce - which they have eaten but it reproduces fast enough to cover the occasional losses. To be fair it's also hiding around a floating breeder box which could be what is saving it from being chomped to death.

If you feed you SD plenty of veggies and greens like de shelled green peas and romaine, you may be able to grow a few things ?

Anubias
Java Fern
Are the two I'd try.

Yeah those are the two they murdered. Those guys never seem to miss an opportunity to munch! I'll try some veggies too.

Back
Top Bottom