55 planted tank! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joebro3333

Aquarium Advice Freak
What kind of substrate would be the best for this build? I have heard many different options need advice :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Need all the details here, what are you shooting for? How much of your money can we spend?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was told activ-flora was the best idk but I ended up spendind like $120. (For my 55g)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

55 Gallon Substrate

What kind of substrate would be the best for this build? I have heard many different options need advice :)

Hello joe...

Standard pea-sized gravel is likely the easiest to keep clean of organic material that collects on the bottom and the least expensive if you're on a tight budget.

B

Hello joe...

Standard pea-sized gravel is likely the easiest to keep clean of organic material that collects on the bottom and the least expensive if you're on a tight budget.

B

Actually....... no... it's not.. any of what you said.. it's the least practical substrate for a dedicated planted tank.. pool filter sand would way cheaper and way more practical.

I've been using EcoComplete and it works quite well in my low light shrimp tank and high tech planted tank. Dark, not too heavy, high CEC (cation exchange capacity).
If on a budget I'd suggest pool filter sand.

Yep Sand is inexpensive and great for planted tanks.

I've also used Black Diamond Blasting Sand. It's a PITA to rinse, but looks nice. It's a bit rough for Cories.

I use Root Tabs under the sand and my plants do very well.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420501618.577757.jpg

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How do you clean the sand?

How do you clean the sand?

You hover the gravel vac above the sand and make a gentle circular motion to suck up detritus. You don't want to over vacuum a planted tank as you would be sucking nutrition away from the plants.

Alright and I heard with that certain sand there is a chance that there is toxic oil and you need to rinse a lot. And maybe use dawn dish soap?

Alright and I heard with that certain sand there is a chance that there is toxic oil and you need to rinse a lot. And maybe use dawn dish soap?

Not sure which sand you are referring to. Dish soap is not a good thing to use. I would just avoid the sand.

??? Hmm. Never heard that one. Never use soap.

My Black Diamond Blasting Sand was very dusty. Had a bit of film on water surface at first. Toxic ? No.

The pic with the Betta is the Blasting Sand. I kept Amano Shrimp in there as well.

The only thing I have ever been told is that if you have a deep sand bed say 3 inches or more ,you can occasionally get a gas pocket that could possibly be harmful. My substrate is never more than 2 inches and I have MTS snails that constantly stir up my sand I've never had an issue.

My club members that have deep sand beds occasionally use a chopstick to poke around in it. But most of us have MTS in our tanks so we don't worry about it.

What are MTS snails? :)

Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Tropical snails with long, spiral (think pointy ice cream cone) shells. Burrowing habit, breeds frequently, live bearing. Great scavenger.

Thank you for the advice and pictures they really help :)

Not using the tar sands i keep hearing about on NPR?? ;) I vote Eco complete if you want performance without breaking the bank. I used flourite black sand capped with standard black sand.. seems to be working ok, i add super toot tabs once a month as well..

Back
Top Bottom