55 with Blood Parrots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What, if anything, would YOU put in a 55 gallon with 2 blood parrots?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It really depends and what u like or want in the tank, I have 2 with a silver dollar and angelfish, the silver dollar follows my blood parrots around a lot. Blood parrots spawn often so if u want to try breeding I suggest looking into other cichlids

It's my sisters tank and she really wants some more cichlids.

I wouldn't put Red Zebra Cichlids in the tank with the Blood Parrots....That was the mistake I made...within 24 hours that Blood Parrot was dead....

Sure don't want that. What about angels and/or Gouramis?

Not a great article IMO. Flower horn is a terrible suggestion, angelfish are questionable (in my opinion, others might disagree). The fish in the photo are not even parrots but appear to be midas cichlids. The majority of the cichlids mentioned in the article, with the exception of firemouths and severums, are too aggressive to be housed with parrots.

If you decide to add any other cichlids, I'd probably try a firemouth. 55 gallons isn't all that much room for those fish once they get some size on them, and will be too small for a severum with the parrots eventually. If you aren't set on cichlids, maybe try some yo yo loaches or some Colombian tetras.

Last edited:
Not a great article IMO. Flower horn is a terrible suggestion, angelfish are questionable (in my opinion, others might disagree). The fish in the photo are not even parrots but appear to be midas cichlids. The majority of the cichlids mentioned in the article, with the exception of firemouths and severums, are too aggressive to be housed with parrots.

If you decide to add any other cichlids, I'd probably try a firemouth. 55 gallons isn't all that much room for those fish once they get some size on them, and will be too small for a severum with the parrots eventually. If you aren't set on cichlids, maybe try some yo yo loaches or some Colombian tetras.

Ah, thank you.

What are your thoughts on jewel cichlids?

I don't keep jewels. I know that there are a few species in the genus Hemichromis and some are more aggressive than others. They are African riverine fish so the water parameters for them would be quite similar to the fish you have. I'm just not sure if they would be too aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom