55g community angel question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teakwood

Aquarium Advice Freak
Stock
7 Juvies angels growing out
6 cardinal tetras
4 albino Cory's
2 female GBR

I keep my tank pretty pristine, never had a nitrate reading over 20ppm.

My question is for the angelfish heads ;) as they grow and pair up I have to decide to keep a pair or keep a couple that don't pair and are potentially same sexed. What would you do? As my angels thin I will decide where to add fish, bumping up the cardinals, adding more Cory's depending on what I do with the rams, ext.

So will a community tank me happier with a pair of angels or 2 unsexed buddies? Thoughts and opinions welcome. I also find that I have no top swimmers just occasional top swimmers. I know hatchets stay on top I used to really want those but I'm not sure how I feel about jumpers so I would love top swimmer suggestions that I don't have to worry about being nippy. Thanks.

It all kinda depends on which personality you like, as they grow up you'll start to notice different aggression levels, activity, and their mature colors. Some pairs can be really aggressive and others can be really pretty peaceful. I don't think anyone can say 100% which would be better IMO, you just have to see how things go and decide when the time comes who you like best. If you do decide to keep two unpaired I would try to pick two females or an unpaired male and female because when the others are removed there may or may not be a territory dispute between two males, but that's really the only suggestion I can make. I have several angels so that's where my suggestion is coming from

I kind of favor pairs because over the years I've found even same sexed angels can form pairs and try to spawn, especially two female angels. Also I noticed when you only have 1 pair in a decent size tank they tend to be more mellow. So actually you have alot of choice but your best one might be picking the two angels you like the best or that is the best looking and keep them. It's always a gamble with angels and until they've been mature for a few months I've found their personalities and aggression levels don't really come out. The only problems I've had over the years is with large dominant breeding males. Some of them, especially the unpaired ones can turn into aggressive monsters. I actually had to sell my favorite and prettiest male out of the 220g because of this.

+1, rivercats is an angel expert so what she says I can't disagree with. I had to trade in one of my pretty males because he was crazy jealous too

Thank for the opinions. I'm excited to see how they grow. I've had them about 3-4 months and they are ranging from smallest, a veil around an inch-inch and a 1/4 to about 2- 2 1/2 inch body size so I'm anticipating some sort of pairing in the next month or couple months. Weeding them out is going to be sooooo hard, they are all really awesome colors.

Angels mature at 8 months but often don't start pairing till after a year old so you might have to wait alittle longer.

Back
Top Bottom