55g Dirt Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like you have an imbalance somewhere. I use this chart to get an idea of what to test for and/or dose. It's not comprehensive or anything but is a really good resource.

3591814040_bc03c264a5_o.jpg

I'm assuming it is the new growth that is yellowing so it could be iron or nitrates. If it is just the edges of the leaves then I'd lean towards potassium IME.

Last edited:
Oh wow, that's a great little figure. I've been really busy last week and this, and it's not until this Thursday that I finally get some decent down time. I'll really take a look then, and maybe buy some test kits for those (which I should have anyway...) and take a course of action. That being said, I've started dosing Flourish again to see if that does anything, and I've also upped my filter flow for increased circulation. My Flourish is about a year old, but I see no expiration date on it, any idea for that?

Thanks meegosh.

Did a nice large water change today...things always look the best in my tank right after a water change; green, crisp and clear. Keep in mind that in person this tank has a tiny bit of a yellow tint to it due to my light. I may change it out to a 10,000K because I'm starting to really dislike the color of my 6500K.

6980693119_d8565f359a_z.jpg

Best shot I could get of them:

6834564488_02659d8062_z.jpg

Here's my C. wendtii (Red). It came green, then turned to this...should it even look like this? I've compared mine to others on the net and it seems like mine is a little bit more "deteriorated" than others.

6980692481_d4e339fb02_z.jpg

Thank you for viewing.

Very nice pics! Looking good as usual. I've never used flourish so I can't vouch for the shelf life of it. I wouldn't think it could go bad.

Wow, tank is looking awesome.

About the Crypt wendtii, I do think they are greener in higher light and a brown/bronze color when kept in lower light. This is just what I have read, but it looks like it may be the case.

So it seems like the yellowing is on old growth (ie: Water sprite is budding new leaves that are bright green), so possibly an iron deficiency? Wondering if I should order an iron liquid fert...

What's up...I got a more accurate photo in terms of how my tank looks on a daily basis (in terms of lighting color). Hacked away some of the very long dwarf sag this morning, as well as some overgrown water sprite. I've been dosing Flourish twice a week, so hopefully by doing so I'll notice my plants looking healthier again. Also on a happy note, my Rainbow Shark has been venturing out a lot lately after feedings to clean up after what was missed...it's good to finally see him, he's black as can be and has great red fins. Love him.

6844572968_12627906f6_b.jpg

6844571738_4d6f637080_z.jpg

6844570840_89ba7b6e0f_z.jpg

6990694185_4278688ff6_z.jpg

Very nice nick. Where did you put away the water sprite and the sags to? Will you be willing to send it to me in mass? ;-)

Keep looking...I've seen some good stuff in the NYC ads pop up, though for this I went upstate to get. Good luck.

Hey. I have been dosing KNO3 and Cidex diluted to 1.5% Glut for about a week now. I dose about 6ml of KNO3 every other day to get my NO3 up to 5ppm, and 5ml of the Cidex daily.

7046393409_69eedff1e9_c.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Looks like you need to thin some out on the right side. Oh how I don't miss trimming my tank weekly. ;)

Very nice, lush green growth!

Thanks, meegosh. I have to trim it every water change, it's insane how much growth there is on the right side. The dosing of the Cidex daily seems to be curbing the algae a little, and I think the KNO3 dosing may be bringing some green back to my plants. One cool thing I didn't even realize (as it was inundated by dwarf sag) is that I have a brand new C. wendtii that grew about a half an inch away my other ones, exciting!

I'm looking to add another species of tetra to my stock. I currently have 10x Pristella's and 1x Rainbow shark. Any ideas? Thanks.

I've received diamonds and von rio's from severum mamma and HN1. Both are excellent choices IMO. I currently have 11 Diamond Tetras in my 75g and they are constantly schooling back and forth. They are one of the bigger tetras and are quite active.

Those diamonds look freakin' awesome, man. I'm really liking their dorsal fin. I am going to take a look today. I'm too lazy to drive all the way to my LFS, so I'm going to have to take the subway in to Petco and see if they have. If I recall, they had them last time. (Yes yes, Petco, but my Petco actually has spectacular stock, believe it or not). Thanks for the suggestion!

Marconis said:
Those diamonds look freakin' awesome, man. I'm really liking their dorsal fin. I am going to take a look today. I'm too lazy to drive all the way to my LFS, so I'm going to have to take the subway in to Petco and see if they have. If I recall, they had them last time. (Yes yes, Petco, but my Petco actually has spectacular stock, believe it or not). Thanks for the suggestion!

My petco does a good job with their fish. There are rarely and sick looking or dead fish. They try to keep the fish selection varied. We don't have a good lfs here so the petco manager tries real hard to keep the stock varied and healthy.

Very nice tank! It's so green and bright looking!

Back
Top Bottom