55g Dirt Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know why mine has big chunks...it just does. You can remove the larger chunks. I don't think a place like Lowes will carry PFS. I'm pretty sure you need to go to a pool supplier, like Leslie's.

Marconis said:
I don't know why mine has big chunks...it just does. You can remove the larger chunks. I don't think a place like Lowes will carry PFS. I'm pretty sure you need to go to a pool supplier, like Leslie's.

I got mine from a pool supply store too. I just read in this forum that some people get them from the big hardware stores. I was out of town and saw a Lowe's so I gave it a try. Then I saw the paver base.

Oh, cool, wasn't aware big stores sold it. So far I like the paver base, but we'll see if that stands when I add it to the tank.

Here's the tank after paver base and dirt added. It's a little over 3" deep at some points, hope that's not too deep. This made a huge mess. Light here isn't the one I am using, mine comes Friday. The bulb on this went out, so I hope it's the bulb and not the fixture cause I'm trying to sell it, ha!

img_1325746_0_5f3dd34e38a6892657048a5547be6251.jpg

img_1325746_1_b57a8aa99bbffb60e00184e93f3f017c.jpg

img_1325746_2_ff7bf02f5e858a541d93dac6363f2444.jpg

img_1325746_3_75c76d2287e566ea244ea2d28719d108.jpg

img_1325746_4_4745225e1d24c8f95d17ef0eb5702983.jpg

I like it so far. I like the dirt look to it. In a heavily planted aquarium with the right lighting, I'm hoping it will look even better. Some of you may think it's hideous, but oh well!

So, I completely forgot that I used to fantasize about having Penguin Tetras. I may consider getting a large school of them.
As for plants, I'm still clueless.

lol i see, which LFS do you go too? the one i go to is in francis lewis/northern blvd called FishTown USA, its a private owned and they are pretty coool over there, a good selection of fish

so you want a diverse community tank? like pleco/cories/mid/upper schools and one fish that can go solo?

I go to FishTown, but more recently New World Aquarium in Manhattan. I don't need to go to the LFS that much, really.

No, I don't want a diverse community tank. They annoy me. I want 2 species of fish, 3 max.

**Edit- Okay, so I am going to definitely start with a large school of the Penguins and leave some room for another species. To me, watching a giant, calm school is the most relaxing thing ever, especially amongst a huge bed of plants.

Cycling begins Sunday or Monday.

i checked out how to get to New World Aquarium, it will take me a LONG time, i dont think my fish would make it home, would take me about 1hr 30mins to get home taking the 7 to flushing and transferring onto the 17 =[ but ill check it out nonetheless

I wouldn't even waste the $2.50. It's not the greatest place. At first I thought it was cool but it's kind of dirty and stuff.

Light came today. Really awesome light. Filled up:

img_1330554_0_e4bdb64071f6200ddef2517d977d6cd0.jpg

Here's how "level" it is. On the far left, the water level to the bottom of the rim is 1 1/2 inches, whereas on the right it is a little over 1 3/4. Is that too much? I'm emptying the tank regardless today, since I just wanted to see if I had rinsed the substrate enough.

img_1330554_1_2360447fb5953c4cc64f09d6b7474881.jpg

Fluval is kind of a pain, I got it running but with such a low flow.

I love my 405. I didn't think the circulation was the greatest either in my 75g so I added a koralia powerhead. Its all good and I have never had any issues with the tank. The best part is having separate trays. You can put what you want in there.

Not my first canister. I've only ever had XP's. This light is awesome, Jon. Real happy you recommended it!

What do you think of my "unlevelness"? Keep it or fix it?

A little more. I'll probably just throw some more cardboard on the left...shouldn't be too heavy. This tank has been a real pain in terms of basic setup.

Try not to break any saw blades when cutting the cardboard ;)

I'd say if you can get it closer to 1/8th inch, you'll be just fine. You might be ok with it the way it is, but I'd feel better if it were closer to level.

*shamelessly copying everything for my own 55*

That substrate combo looks freakin' amazing. I hope that paver base doesn't compact too much. The dirt probably fixes that though.

Back
Top Bottom