55g Dirt Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's the Ambulia I ordered from Sweet Aquatics. Was shipped Saturday and came today:

img_1546588_0_3bcac3192a3b4e5006b13cf05c56eaec.jpg

Emailed them to get a refund. Absolute bull.

Yeah that was my fourth order from them...they are cooperative it seems. I'll post back tomorrow to let you know if they are refunding me.

I ordered thru them and was not happy with the way my plants looked. Most of the leaves were melted on the hygro.completely died. I was able to salvage the crypts, sag and floating plants thankfully. Ideally you want to put healthy plants in a new tank because they need to adjust to your parameters. Now I only order through other hobbits or if I find good plants at fish stores(rare). Your tank is coming along nice. You may have a touch too much light and not enough plants. Any reason why you took out the Vals. They can take a log time to adjust. I have mine for about a month and still struggling. I've heard that they take awhile to get rooted. Once they do , it's like a weed!

I've got a 60 dollar order coming in from Sweet Aquatics. Ordered about 9/3, sent them an email 5 days later after not hearing anything. Said they are "Low on some plants so they have to wait for a new shipment". The wait continues....

I'm not impressed with these guys. If it takes more than 2.5 weeks I'm siccing paypal on them.

I actually hate SA. The only reason I order from them is because it gets to my apartment 2-3 days from shipping for only $7. I'm not into spending $15 on next-day air like most places. I like that they have a large selection, as well. However, I always receive half dead plants from them...it's a compromise I'm willing to make. This was just unacceptable, though. Completely dead? Please. They didn't even apologize in the email, just said, "I agree it's DOA, let us know if you want a replacement or refund". I said replacement...she said, "Okay, you'll get an email when it ships." If I had a company like that, I'd be deeply apologetic and overnight-ship the plants for free.

I agree I may have too much light for what I have in there, but I also don't have fish yet. When I get fish, I am expecting things to finally balance out between feedings and respiration.

I ordered thru them and was not happy with the way my plants looked. Most of the leaves were melted on the hygro.completely died. I was able to salvage the crypts, sag and floating plants thankfully. Ideally you want to put healthy plants in a new tank because they need to adjust to your parameters. Now I only order through other hobbits or if I find good plants at fish stores(rare). Your tank is coming along nice. You may have a touch too much light and not enough plants. Any reason why you took out the Vals. They can take a log time to adjust. I have mine for about a month and still struggling. I've heard that they take awhile to get rooted. Once they do , it's like a weed!

I actually took out the Vals because they were doing terribly. I was informed on another forum that NYC water is soft and acidic, and Vals tend to do better in hard water. Mine didn't make the cut.

great tank!!!!!! u should add some Betta albimarginata they look cool and are shoal fish or a Betta channoides they both look cool and can be kept in groups and do well in a well planted aquarium

Marconis said:
I actually took out the Vals because they were doing terribly. I was informed on another forum that NYC water is soft and acidic, and Vals tend to do better in hard water. Mine didn't make the cut.

Did you test your water? I live in Rockaway and my water is def not soft. I would say it's pretty neutral in ph. 7.0 ish or so. I haven't tested GH, tho. Maybe slightly acidic. It's hard to tell by the color on the test kit. Anyways. You could always add some crushed coral to the dirt to make the water hard. And bump up the ph.

Nah, did not test water. Ha, I've never had luck with Vals of any species so I just linked it together with that. Oh well.

I still didn't receive an email that my SA order has been shipped, so I emailed them and told them I want a refund...no response yet. I won't be ordering from them again.

On another note, I cut my photoperiod down by an hour down to 7.5hrs/day, combined with morning ambient light by having the blinds up. Going to see if my plants are better off this way. Getting fish soon!

I got part of my SA order Monday. Plants were half to mostly dead (glosso looked like death), driftwood was really small, only got half my plants, and came with free ramshorn snails and duckweed. Many plants had black spots or what looked like algae.

Marconis said:
Nah, did not test water. Ha, I've never had luck with Vals of any species so I just linked it together with that. Oh well.

Dude. You were totally right. After doing some more research I found out that our water is def soft! I haven't tested cuz I dint have a gh/kh test kit but I went in NYC.gov and just googled it. I think this is why some of my plants aren't doing that great. Oh well. Got to add some crushed coral to my filter.

Alright, tank is dying like mad for some reason. Regardless, I am getting new plants and fish tomorrow, finally. I don't even know if my tank is fully cycled, but I really don't care at this point. I'm starting off with a school of 6 fish, not sure which yet.

I honestly think that my main issues are not having fish. Perhaps my soil has run out of its original nutrients, and I didn't have enough fish food/waste/natural respiration going into my water. Who knows. Time will tell!

These Black Neons are absolutely gorgeous. When I was done acclimating I noticed that their dorsal fins had a little blue in them, and it looks awesome. I'm still very worried about my plants...need them to stop dying.

Also, I see that these fish do best in soft, acidic water, so I hope they stay happy and healthy. Will need to keep an eye on parameters, though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom