55g FOWLR - new tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingusplease

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,

I just picked up a 55 long, stand, 50lbs live rock, and live sand for $55 from my LFS, and my current plan is to do a FOWLR :). I have a 3g reef, but no experience with larger SW. Anyways, what are some basics for this tank? Thoughts on stocking, equipment, and miscellaneous tips are greatly appreciated!

Here is my equipment list to purchase:

Suitable HOB filter

A nice set of lights

Two Koralia 425s

Thermometer

A skimmer (input needed)

Probably a 100-200w heater

Next update will probably be photos of tank positioned, leak test and sealants if needed. Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

First pic! Not sure about a sump yet, drilling is possible...

Update #2:

I also just picked up a used T5 fixture, dual bulbs - lighting is covered! I'm wondering if I switched out the bulbs for 10000k and actinic I could support some soft coral or even LPS...

Would two bulbs be enough for coral?

Update #2:

I also just picked up a used T5 fixture, dual bulbs - lighting is covered! I'm wondering if I switched out the bulbs for 10000k and actinic I could support some soft coral or even LPS...

Would two bulbs be enough for coral?

You could keep softies and probably acans and lower light lps. Nice to see you starting up a bigger tank man!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello all,

I just picked up a 55 long, stand, 50lbs live rock, and live sand for $55 from my LFS, and my current plan is to do a FOWLR :). I have a 3g reef, but no experience with larger SW. Anyways, what are some basics for this tank? Thoughts on stocking, equipment, and miscellaneous tips are greatly appreciated!

Here is my equipment list to purchase:

Suitable HOB filter

A nice set of lights

Two Koralia 425s

Thermometer

A skimmer (input needed)

Probably a 100-200w heater

Next update will probably be photos of tank positioned, leak test and sealants if needed. Stay tuned!

Dingus!! What's up bud?

For your equipment I would suggest
Filter-ac110
Lights-see you got some
Flow-I would say go with a little more, wp10s are cheap right now so that may be a good option instead of one of the k-nanos
Skimmer-reef octopus and eshopps make nice hob models.
I'll be following, can't waking to see what you do with all this space :)

Dingus!! What's up bud?

For your equipment I would suggest
Filter-ac110
Lights-see you got some
Flow-I would say go with a little more, wp10s are cheap right now so that may be a good option instead of one of the k-nanos
Skimmer-reef octopus and eshopps make nice hob models.
I'll be following, can't waking to see what you do with all this space :)

Hey Red! This should be a fun tank, but its going to be rather slow in development for now. I'm looking at the wp10, and it seems like a good choice - better control seems like a plus too. I'm going to pick up some more salt and the ac110 in the next few days (My one 50g bag has lasted till now for the Pico :) ) The rock is actually only somewhat "live", damp but mostly dry on the surface. Can't wait to start equasceping it this weekend! I'll post pics and take input!

You could keep softies and probably acans and lower light lps. Nice to see you starting up a bigger tank man!

I'm really looking forward to dealing with a big tank, more Aquascaping room and many more fish to choose from. I still might look for a T5 fixture, but unfortunately I found out mine is only 25w per bulb. which works out to 50w for 55 gallons (even though it's PAR that matters. I assume wattage still comes in to play.)

At this point I might just stick with FOWLR for now, with reef upgrades possible. Would two or three Tao panels reach to the bottom?

Well, it seems that a good deal of my planned equipment is on back order until late November, so I'll probably be getting it in early December and be done cycling around early January. For now, I'll be adding SW, experimenting with rockscapes, and and planning what to stock.

The Tao would work. I have a single unit on my 60g cube (2' deep ). One usually covers about two feet, so two would do ya. They are cheap now too. I paid $120 for one last Christmas and now I see them for $150 for two.

I'm following since I just got a 55 for my son.

Well there was a bit of a delay but this tank is back in action :)

I want to order everything this weekend, and I have just about everything down. Wp10, hob filter, 200w heater, 50g bag o' salt, and... Lights. Haven't figured that one out yet. Definitely a fowlr, so I'm just looking for something cheap bright, and relatively nice looking.

As far as stocking, I have a friend with a 90, and I'm considering a Yellow Eye Kole Tang for this tank, in addition to a single percula clown. I have done research on the tang, and am aware of the health issues associated with confined tangs. My question: for a period of growth, would it be acceptable to house the juvenile tang, until transferring it to my friends 90 reef? I ran it by him and he said it is ok with him to take it eventually.

I ordered everything today - should be here by Wednesday.

I also ordered 8lbs more dry rock from BRS, just to get a little more substance in the whole scape.

Sorry to double post: I decided to use tap water for the initial fillup of this tank, with prime treatment.

The tap water here is apparently very high quality, 0 nitrates or phosphates visible and the city water report shows barely any heavy metal in the water. Prime is on the way!

A blue grey paint job has really made the tank seem nicer, from the old plastic-y wood finish before. Pics when I get home

I probably would advise against a skimmer with job filter. No need for this small of a tank fish only.

I probably would advise against a skimmer with job filter. No need for this small of a tank fish only.

Ok, thanks for the input, I haven't bought a hob yet just the skimmer. If there are mechanical filtration issues in the future I'll look into a hob again.

Finally filled it, and am using using a temporary pump and heater until more supplies arrive. 10lbs more rock is coming in the mail

Back
Top Bottom