55g Gourami tank advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jburleson11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New member first post. I couldn't decide where to post this because I mention a lot of topics so I hope general discussion is ok.

I have plans for adding more fish to my tank and I would greatly appreciate any feedback on it.

I've always loved and kept gouramis. They are hardy, being able to live in a wide pH range and temperature range, and can be quirky and fun to watch. My dad kept african cichlids for years and I developed a strong fondness for them as well. I know that african cichlids with gouramis would be a disaster but South Americans cichlids could possibly work. I would like to add either some Blue German Rams or some apistogramma cacatuoides (Cockatoo dwarf) or maybe both.

Has anyone had experience with mixing south americans and gouramis and if so how much luck? I would also love to know if there are any other cichlids that are known to be peaceful and could work in my tank.

Regarding the size of my tank and the number of fish. I've been using aqadvisor.com to estimate the capacity % of my tank and it says that I'm overstocked with only 8 fish (I made it when I had 2 loaches). They say the pleco takes almost 50% of the capacity so it's assuming the pleco is full grown which it isn't and won't be for a long time. Does this seem right to anyone else? Am I already overstocked? Should I find a new home for the pleco? I attached an image of the aqadvisor output.

I have a 4 month old 55g planted tank with 7 fish:

1 Gold Gourami
1 Opalene Gourami
1 Red Fire Dwarf Gourami
2 Peppered Cory Catfish
1 Clown Loach
1 Plecostomus

And some sword plants, annubias nana and java moss.

I added the 2 Clown loaches more recently but one died (I think I bought it sick). The other seems happy though hanging out with the corys.

I'm monitoring the Blue and Gold gouramis because I know they can bicker. They just chase each other around but there are no marks on either.

Apparently I have been too regimented in my monthly maintenance and am correcting a bacteria bloom. Once the tank is stable again I will add some more loaches and corys before other fish.

Attachments

• AquStockImage.php.png
    AquStockImage.php.png
    24 KB · Views: 68
welcome to the forum!

First off, clown loaches will need a bigger tank, being that they grow to a foot long. Also, Common plecos grow to 2 feet long, and so they would also get too big. Take out the loaches and pleco and you have freed up a ton of space in your tank. I think that if you kept gouramis and dwarf cichlids (rams, apistos) it would be fine. Of course, avoid larger SA cichlids such as convicts, as they are very mean. My advice is to rehome the loaches and pleco, get a full school of cories, and go from there. Good luck!

bud

Awesome, thank you for the response!

I feel silly not knowing that about loaches but I saw a full grown pleco at my LFS. Is there a nice alternative for an algae eater or should I even worry? I know corys will nibble on algae but that isn't their forte. I've never rehomed a fish but would a LFS (there's petsmart and an independantly owned aquarium shop) accept the loach and pleco?

You can get plecos that dont grow as large. I have a rubbernose pleco that only gets to abou 5 inches or so. Another good one is the bristle nose pleco.

Ok cool. I think I've already found a home for the loach and pleco. Once I do that I will get more corys. Is 6 a good size school or would more be better for my size tank?

Ok cool. I think I've already found a home for the loach and pleco. Once I do that I will get more corys. Is 6 a good size school or would more be better for my size tank?

Yeah, 6 is a good number. The more the better for them... to a certain point.

Back
Top Bottom