55G ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ladeia3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an old 55 gallon tank I got for free. I've already ordered a strip light and will get a filtration system once that gets here but the dimensions of the tank don't match any of the hoods or glass tops I've so far seen online. I even tested the tops I have for my new 55 gallon kit thinking I could just order more of those but nope. The hoods are too narrow. They are long enough but they don't reach from front to back on the tank. The dimensions of the tank are 48 3/16" long, 13" wide and 20 1/2" high. The inside lip reads 46 7/8" long x 11 3/4" wide.

I'm thinking I might do topless since I am not very good at diy. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas of what fish (FW) I could do that are not jumpers? I was thinking maybe a cichlid tank (Was considering the cichlid starter pack found on that pet place) or maybe angelfish but wasn't sure if they were suitable for a tank without a lid. If they're not, any ideas one ones that might be suitable?

I'm planning on a lightly planted tank with sand (play sand) substrate. I will be going through a fishless cycle but I want to plan this tank around the fish that will be going into it and set it up accordingly from the start instead of having to redo it after getting the fish.

Thanks

I have 1 clown pleco, 1 bn pleco, 3 siamese algae eaters, a mystery snail, 2 bamboo shrimp, 2 angels, 3 chain loaches and 7 turquoise rainbows.

I have an open top and never had a fish jump out. My snail doesnt ever climb out either. Luck?

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Our 55 has lids, but the one side is almost always off. We've had 10 cardinals, 5 neons, 1 bn pleco, 1 farlowella, and 2 assassin snails in there for about 2 months without a casualty. Just added 15 rummynose to it on Friday, and so far no jumpers. :D:thumbup:

Also, I'd recommend pool filter sand over play sand. Haven't actually tried it myself, but have heard it's much better in that it cleans easier, clouds less, and visibly looks better. Just IMO :)

On a negative note, quite a few years ago I had blue Botia loaches and every one of them jumped out of the water. I was relatively new to fish keeping and it could have been my water but it was sad to lose those beautiful fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My current stocking in my 55g
4 Corydoras sterbai ( more soon)
8 Neons will swap out for Cardinal Tetras later. My tank is too warm for them
5 Glowlight Tetras
1 Farlowella vittata
3 Otocinclus ( adding more later)
1 Horned Nerite

Plan to add single Pearl Gourami
1 or 2 GBRs
12 Rummynose
Amano Shrimp