55g lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_guygobies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55g low light planted tank, and that's the problem. I want it high light. I have two t8 florescent bulbs on there and they really don't do much. Any tips on what the best lighting would be? Was thinking maybe t5 florescents because I've heard good reports of them.

Do you really want "high" light? What do you want for plants? Do you know how much it will cost to put a 55 into the high light range?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you want to do injected CO2 ? If not, avoid High Light. Or you'll just grow Algae.

High Light opens up a lot of plant choices, but it's a balancing act. You'd need to up your Ferts and CO2 and keep up on the weekly water changes.

You can't just throw high wattage at a tank without the rest. Plus you'll need to do more trimming/maintenance.

If you know all this stuff, feel free to disregard.

I have a 4 bulb T5HO fixture over my 55g. I'm only running 2 bulbs for 6 hours. Until I can add CO2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you want to do injected CO2 ? If not, avoid High Light. Or you'll just grow Algae.

High Light opens up a lot of plant choices, but it's a balancing act. You'd need to up your Ferts and CO2 and keep up on the weekly water changes.

You can't just throw high wattage at a tank without the rest. Plus you'll need to do more trimming/maintenance.

I have a 4 bulb T5HO fixture over my 55g. I'm only running 2 bulbs for 6 hours. Until I can add CO2

What do I need for Co2? How much does one of those reactors go for? I can't do DIY on a 55g tank it's not worth it

So get yourself a dimmable led. You can start out lower and increase light as needed. Co2 will be necessary with high light along with quality ferts. High light tanks need a good balance or else you'll have an algae farm. Current satellite plus pro would be a good fit. Build my led is great just a but pricey. You could probably get away with 2 finnex 24 / 7 to hit medium light . I wouldn't cheap out on lighting, but once, buy right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I'll do t5's. Any reccomendations?

LEDs are cheaper to run and use less energy and last longer.

I'm using an AquaticLife T5HO fixture.
This one I think ?

Aquatic Life Light T5 HO 4-Lamp 4-L...p/B0030VD4OU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_sa0LwbWE9WTD1

Mine was given to me from a club member. Mine has a mixture of bulbs, plus I was given 6 replacement bulbs.

PAR on this can be quite high.

You'll find a lot of people are buying the better LED fixtures now.

Make sure any fixture you buy has correct bulbs for planted tank rather than Saltwater.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom