55g stock approval

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscflyer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey ya'll. Don't post much, usually just peruse for information. I took on the project a while back of completely gutting my 55g and would like some input on my stocking choices. First though, some general info on the tank: 55g (standard dimensions), moderately planted (roughly 25 plants, mostly java fern and various aponogeton), running two filters (whisper 60/penguin 200), gravel substrate, temp around 80 degrees, also "caves" made from flower pots in both back corners and two average size pieces of drift wood. Has been cycling a little over five months (entered eight live plants initially and remaining plants grew from bulbs during cycle, all thriving).

My tentative stock (ALL suggestions encouraged):

4 angelfish
4 bolivian rams
6 danios
3 otos
5 pygmy cory (not sure which exactly)

If you want to do 4 angels I wouldn't add any other fish except the bottom feeders. Angelfish and danios are not a good combination. The danios are too fast moving and agile for the angels and they are likely to nip at the angel's long fins.

To revise your stocking list this is what I would do:

1-2 angelfish
4 bolivian rams
the ottos and pygmy corys may also be possibly eaten by an adult angel I would recommend fuller sized cory cats or no catfish at all. The reason being that if your bolivian rams breed the corys will not be able to respect the territorial boundries of the rams.
A school of peaceful and sizeable fish such as bloodfins. Anything too small risks being eaten by an adult angel.

So far about a month in I am finding Angelfish and Bolivian Rams to be a fun and interesting combination. I have a backup plan though so you may want one too.

I like the black skirts. Could I do some other algae eater, that is bigger?

2 angelfish
4 bolivians
5 corys
2 bristlenose plecos
6 black skirts

Just some thought, I don't know much about schooling fish but I have a danio and an Angelfish in the same tank and have had them for a long time and they don't bother each other at all, but that could be different with schools of them

i wouldnt do an agel with black skirts,they can be pretty nippy

alLexX said:
i wouldnt do an agel with black skirts,they can be pretty nippy

Angels and black skirts are fine together as long as the school is big enough. I recommend at least 4 but preferably 8.

Angels and black skirts are fine together as long as the school is big enough. I recommend at least 4 but preferably 8.
my school of 9 beat the crap outta my paradise fish. bigger schools can help,but not always

Back
Top Bottom