55g tank returned - need some advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Eye Tang

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well,... the very guy I sold my 55g reef tank to a few years ago decided to get rid of everything and asked if I wanted the tank back. I went out to pick it up and besides being a little sad to see it all dried out and looking like **** I retrieved it. I know have it back but there are a few issues. First, the bottom black plastic surround is cracked up but the silicone seals still look good. I was thinking of tearing it down and rebuilding the tank. Can you guys tell me the type of silicone to use, where to get the new plastic reinforcements, and just simply the best way to renew this tank. Also a neighbor of mine is a glass cutter and has allready offered to help me with a 75g glass cut tank. Anyone know the exact specs of the glass for a 75? Thanks I know it's a lot to chew on but I'd love to have my old tank in tip top shape - reborn again.

I used to work as a tradie with glass and aluminium, so I was a little suprised when I watched a LFS being set up where they used acetic curing silicone to make the tanks. But all the fish are fine (years later) so it obviously works. My guy at the LFS that I buy literally everything from (he's the only one I've found who knows anything) just gave me half a tube of the stuff actually. So if you are someone's regular customer they may be willing to give you some leftover glazing silicone they have around.

Actually just looked up the info for silicone 2 days ago on this site... I think the general concensus is to skip "aquarium silicone" since it is very overpriced. The type I saw mentioned almost every time to go with was GE Clear Silicone Type I... make sure to get only the Window and Door version of it (blue tube)... not the kitchen and bath (red tube). Kitchen and bath has anti-microbials in it that would be bad for the tank... also stay away from the Type II... different/not safe chemical composition.

Hope this helps!

Anyone know if a regular glass company would have the type of silicone? If so I might be able to get my neighbor to get me a tube. Also what kind of glass is it if he was to cut me out the glass for a 75?

I would be very much surprised if you can't buy a 75 for less than the cost of the glass. If you are getting the glass for free, than you can make it worth while. Around here during Boxing week Big Al's sells 75s for $100.00 (Canadian, which is around $80 US). That is a tank with frame top and bottom. If you add the cost of that to a build (even though it isn't necessary) you will probabl be farther ahead to buy one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom