55gal filter for a 10gal???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
is it ok to use my 55gal hang-on filter on my 10gal? or is the suction going to be too strong?

it has 6 fancy guppies

all help appreciated!!

i wanna put it on now if i can sooo LEMME KNOW!! lol

thanks friends :)

You should just put it on and see can't hurt to check firsthand but it shouldn't be

lol welllll siva told me ...
QUOTE:
"A 55 gal filter would be too much flow for a 10 gal. I find an AquaClear 30 is perfect, you'll never have a bio-load issue with a fully stocked 10 gal, and it even has a flow adjuster so you can dial it back if fish are getting knocked around."

soooo i dont know if i should even bother trying, especially cuz i'm holding an angel for a little while

i'm gonna price out the 30gal filters & if i'm too poor, MAYBE i'll try the big boy lol

I kept an aquaclear 50 on a 10g tank for a year with no issues. Unless you're keeping a betta, I can't imagine it would be an issue. No sense in wasting money on another filter if that one will work.

mfdrookie516 said:
I kept an aquaclear 50 on a 10g tank for a year with no issues. Unless you're keeping a betta, I can't imagine it would be an issue. No sense in wasting money on another filter if that one will work.

so you think the angel i'm holding will be ok too??

i'm gonna give it a shot.. i just dont wanna kill my $20 in guppies or my boys $10 angel

not to mention, my guppies are STUNNING up close!! awesome purchase :)

welllllll the 55gal filter must have gotten wet when i switche it out cuz it doesnt work anymore.. WHACK!!

thanks for the help though, i'm gonna grab a new one tomorrow.. pending cost lol

Ohhh KonnyKeeps :)

i think the exterior part, that holds the pads, fell in a bucket & where the wire enters got submerged.. i dunno but i doubt thats supposed to happen LOL

i'm gonna grab the aquatech 20-40gal tomorrow at walmart.. its 160gph & only 25 bucks annnnnnd its got great reviews .. should be mint for a 10ski :D

went & got the aquatech 20-40gal filter & they are all doing great with it.. very pleased

also, it says the 'fiber pad' (not the filter pad) removes all amonia & nitrites upon contact sooo thats pretty dope :)

Back
Top Bottom