55gal lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klobianco12

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon tank with a t5 corallife 48 in strip with one antic blue and a white. is that enough or not enough for me to have corals and anemones?

That light would be enough for soft corals, but that's it. I have a 4 bulb coralife unit above my 36 gal and wasn't able to keep an anemone alive under it.

Schism said:
Yes soft corals only however some that a 2 bulb wont likely support

+1 imo if you want any corals you should start with 4 bulbs unless its like a 10 gallon or something. You could always add a second dual bulb fixture and then I would say you could keep some LPS in there along with any softy

So if I buy another would I be fine? Or I'm looking at this Aquarium Light 48" 216 Watt T5 Aqua Lighting Fixture Reef Fish Tank Salt Water on eBay would that be good? Thanks for the help people

The ebay light would be much better than the 2 bulbs you're running now. Your coral options would really open up, but it's iffy on an anemone. Most do well under 4 bulbs while some don't. I would try out the 4 bulb fixture and add some corals and see how they do. :) Nems shouldnt be added to newer tanks but rather more established tanks. I am waiting a bit longer to add a bubble tip to one of my tanks just to make sure it will have the best chance at surviving and thriving.

Yea I had a tank before that with a bubble tip anemone n it lived for a year n a couple months n lived of that one fixture I had was weird so I would be able to get any corals? And also any led stripes you know online for sale for cheap?

The only corals I would hesitate with would be SPS ones. Although placement is also key as well as the actual light. :) You would be able to keep all softies and LPS corals with 4 bulbs. You get into the grey area when you want clams, SPS and anemones. I kept SPS under 4 bulbs and it did pretty well but I had it higher up in the tank.

Here are two sites you might wanna look at for cheap lights:
fish need it;lights; food;Sponge
Aquatraders - Guaranteed Best Prices on Aquarium Lightings + Free Shipping!

Both have decent fixtures for around $100 that have 4 bulbs. The aquatraders ones have led moonlights and timers and the fish needit light does not. I currently have 2 from aquatraders and one fixture from fish needit and they do a decent job for a cheap price.

Is this the one your talking about ? Home > Lightings >

48" 216W (4x 54W) T5 HO Light Fixture Extendable Series

It doesn't say anything about moonlight and timer tho.

Thanks alot. I'm gonna buy it tomorrow lol and I when I get it should I keep that one and the one I have one together so I would have 3 white and three blue antic blue and the led it comes with?

If you want to do sps then yes add the extra fixture but 4 bulbs is fine for lps and Softies

Thanks and do use know any site or know any ones that have good protein skimmers?

Bulkreefsupply.com Carey is about to start a group buy Tuesday

Back
Top Bottom