55gal tank setup journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crossthreaded

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my dad used to raise african cichleds in the basements when I was younger and I saw this tank on craigslist for a good deal and decided to pick it up. I will use this thread to hopefully show other newbies the process of setting up a tank and getting everything going.

55 gal tank, with stand, fixture, lids, and a whole box of aquaclear filters and plants, aquasafe, etc. bought for 50 bucks.

I filled the tank up last night and got the filter all setup and going to start cycling the tank. I have previous experience with bioponics and aquaponics but from the plant standpoint not the fish standpoint so this will be new to me. eventually I would like to setup an aquaponics setup on top of the tank. I know a fair amount about BB, as well as ph drift and such. the nitrite and nitrate levels are new to me though. I do have a ppm meter and ph meter, although I doubt they will be necessary.

my goal is to have a nice looking tank with some fish, and a few other creatures that look good but don't need 2 hours of maintenance every day. I don't mind a little work, but am pretty busy and cant devote too much time. I wish I could though, some of the tanks on here rock.

but first things first, any suggestions on a few fish that I can get put in there to start things moving? just something hardy and colorful that will live through my newbie mistakes.

the heaters that they have at petsmart, is it really necessary to get the 300w heater for my tank? it just seems like an awful lot of heating power, I don't have a/c so my tank should stay fairly warm anyways.

I will get some pictures put up when I get home tonight, I'm at work right now.

Have you considered fishless cycling the tank? Or using Bio Spira? It is humane and doesn't subject fish to ammonia burns or nitrite poisoning.

Yes, I'd go with a 300W heater. At least a 250. The price difference isn't much.

Welcome to AA!

IME a 150 watt is fine. Even if the power goes out the tank will stay warm for hours. If the the power stays off for days when it comes back on I belive it's better to reheat it slower than faster. Back in the old days (mid 1970s) I left the heater unplugged in my 75 GAL metal frame tank, for three days over Christmas, and in a house with a manual wall heater(turned off). House Temp. 40 degrees, tank a little higher. I could see the albino channel cat breathe about once a minute. The Oscar and Pacu even slower. After two hours of both heaters running (tank and house) the cat was up and swimming, four hours later all three fish were fine. 100 watts will work. Just harder and slower. 300 watts will hardly work at all, using the same electricity only faster.

Jäger recommends
Watts Tank Size Heater
50 10 -15 Gallons 9"
75 15 - 20 Gallons 10"
100 20 - 30 Gallons 12"
125 30 - 45 Gallons 12"
150 40 - 60 Gallons 13"
200 60 - 90 Gallons 15"
250 90+ Gallons 17"

Incase you didn't noticed fish are cold blooded.

If you have room, two 100 watt heaters could be better than one 300
watt heater, if one should fail.

That is a steal on a 55g, wish I could find such a good deal.

Manufacturer "suggestions" are not always reliable. If you need to bump up the temp for an ich outbreak a 150W heater probably isn't going to get the tank temp up to 88 degrees in such a large tank. During the winter if the house temp drops, you'll need more power. California winters aren't exactly cold.

well i got everything situated and finally got some fish in there. started out with 5 albino cory cat's. unfortunately I did not put a sponge filter on the pickup tube and lost 2 of them in the first 2 days. no on locally has the right filter so I have the net rigged over top of it now.

the question at hand is what these cory cats like to eat, I bought some kelp flakes but they don't seem to be touching them. do i need to get something else for them?

any suggestions for a schooling fish to pair up with the cory's? I want to get another batch of the cats of a different type but later on.

I'd try feeding them some sinking pellet or tablet food. I feed mine shrimp pellets and spirulina algae wafers.

Any schooling fish would be fine with the Cories. Most tetras and rasboras are peaceful, as are Rainbowfish...just depends on what you like and can find.

Before you add more Cories of a different species, I'd get more Albino Cories. You could bring the number up to 6-8 and then add 6-8 of another species.

Danios would also work out alright with your cories...but justonemore20s suggestion of tetras and rasboras is really good...i more prefer the rummynose tetras and harlequin rasboras for schools....both very active!

well i told the old lady to go to petsmart when she got up this morning to get some sinking food but she overslept and couldn't get there before she had to go to work. I stopped on the way home and got algae wafers and shrimp pellets, one more of the cories was dead when I finally made it home though. I threw a good amount of hte shrimp and algae into the tank and they went crazy and grazed out and have starting schooling again instead of swimming around at the top of the tank.

I will pick 5 or so more albinos over the weekend.

harlequin rasboras are definately on the top of my list, the old lady wants to put some red barbs in there. she is the one picking out everything so we will see what happens there.

so I have kelp and algae flakes and these rasboros dont seem to be touching them, they only nip at the shrimp pellets while they are floating down to the cories.

Back
Top Bottom