57g Tank arrived, few pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaylam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my tank and other bits arrived Sunday, so far all I have done is got the temp right and added the salt. Im monitoring the salt daily so as soon as its the correct amount I will be getting some live rock to start the cycle process.

Quick few question, powerheads. Havent got any yet but I plan on getting 2, should they both be pointing downwards and do I leave these running 24/7.

Also I will be changing one of the white stock lights to blue so I have 1 white 1 blue I read something somewhere about having to run the blue light for an hour before the white comes on in the morning and a hour after it goes off in the evening to emulate moonlight. Is this true?

Its still a bit cloudy at the moment.

Here are a few pics:

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

tank4.jpg

tank5.jpg

tank6.jpg

Yes, blue/actinic is normally on 1 hr before and after the daylight/whites. I did actinic on at 2pm, actininc and white on from 3 - 10, white off at 10, and actinic on for another hour until 11. Limit total lighting to 8-9 hrs daily. Pick your viewing time preference.

A typical placement of powerheads is on both sides of the tank, 25% from the top and pointed at each other to crash/meet at the front of the tank in the middle.

I don't know if you've ever tried the fishless cycle, but you should. It works better and faster and is not cruel to any fish you are thinking of using. I used the fishless cycle I found here at AA and I'm a true believer. My tank is small, 20g, freshwater and the tank cycled in a week and a half instead of three months.

Click on the search button at the top of your screen and type in fishless cycling and you'll get all the instructions. You must follow the instructions to a "T". It's easy. If you have any more questions just ask AA.

I don't know if you've ever tried the fishless cycle, but you should. It works better and faster and is not cruel to any fish you are thinking of using. I used the fishless cycle I found here at AA and I'm a true believer. My tank is small, 20g, freshwater and the tank cycled in a week and a half instead of three months.

Click on the search button at the top of your screen and type in fishless cycling and you'll get all the instructions. You must follow the instructions to a "T". It's easy. If you have any more questions just ask AA.

I am doing a fishless cycle.

Looks like a nice tank. I like the black color.

Thanks, you cant see it to well at the moment as it still a bit cloudy but its dark blue at the bottom and fades up to a lighter blue.

im not getting into another arguement about this...

i have the opinions i stick to which will do it right with no problem. you all can have yours that could leech stuff into your aquarium.

That`s good because we dont need to tie up the OP`s thread with arguing. Just state your opinion and move on. Let`s help the OP out.

Looks great! What plans do you have for it?

Thanks, to be honest not sure yet :)

i hope he does reef! :) i love bowfront reefs

This is the plan for the future but want to read more in to keeping reef tanks before jumping straight in to it.

Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been documenting it so will post the update after this.

UPDATE:

Tank looking clearer today.

Saltwater level is now correct.

Off to the marine shop at the weekend to get some liverock to start the cycle.

I seem to be getting very small micro bubles in the tank from the skimmer, anyone know whats happening here.

tank7.jpg

tank8.jpg

tank9.jpg

tank10.jpg

A little bit of DIY seems to have solved the big bubbles leaking in to the tank but still have some small ones, will give it time for the water to mature and see if it calms down......

Cant to get some fish in there, the wife is starting to complain im not spending any time with her ha ha

tank11.jpg

tank12.jpg

UPDATE:

Went to get 20kg of live rock today:

tank13.jpg

tank14.jpg

tank15.jpg

tank16.jpg

tank17.jpg

tank18.jpg

tank19.jpg

Will be re testing water later.

Opinions?

UPDATE:

Went to get a water butt today to house the water whilst it mixes with the salt to do the big water change. 100lt of watter in it, salt in it and a pump to circulate and mix the salt. Will test the salt level tomorrow and if its correct will do the 100lt water change, then re test for the next week before getting some tank mates.

So (no pun intended) here is a picture of my butt:

butt.jpg

UPDATE:

Powerheads fitted and just re tested water, nitrite 0, nitrate 0 and ammonia 0 WOO HOO:

tank20.jpg

tank21.jpg

tank22.jpg

With the addition of the LR and the dieoff it`s going to have you`ll most likely have an ammonia spike to start your cycle but your snails might not make it. Always best to cycle without livestock. Keep a close eye out for them. BTW everything is looking pretty good.

With the addition of the LR and the dieoff it`s going to have you`ll most likely have an ammonia spike to start your cycle but your snails might not make it. Always best to cycle without livestock. Keep a close eye out for them. BTW everything is looking pretty good.

Thanks, after I added the live rock i left it a week (testing daily) and waiting until Ammonia and Nitrite were 0. Then I done a 50% water change so I believe my cycle to have finished.

Have tested since doing the 50% water change and everything is still 0, the nitrates are up a bit but nothing major.

Can anyone ID my snails, I just asked the LFS for snails so not sure what they actually are.

Back
Top Bottom