5g Betta Biotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
My poor bettas are in tanks that are way too small. The tanks are only 2.5 gallons and I feel really awful about it. I'm going to upgrade them to 5g tanks, and I want to do them as close to their natural habitats as possible.

My question is what is a betta biotope like and how do I build one? I've tried looking online but there are so many different opinions that I don't know what to think. Some say blackwater, some say clearwater, some say densely planted, others say only vallisneria spiralis, etc etc. Anyone know what a betta's biotope is like? Thanks!

Well I don't know if its the perfect biotope but my Bettas are in moderately planted tanks with a few cave type decorations. I have 2 10g tanks with a male Betta each & a 46g with 3 female Bettas. They like having something they can rest on towards to top of the water. They like the temp to be 78-80F & filtration can be a problem but is easily fixed. I don't know if this helps but it's how mine are set up & they are healthy & happy.

From what I've read bettas come from a wide range of waterways so I think you could go clearwater or black water and be accurate. In terms of plants Crypts, vals, blyxa japonica, rotala. There are probably others too. I agree 78-80F and p.H. 6.4-6.8 would be accurate. Keep in mind its hard for fish to adjust to be water chem swings so stick with the p.H. he is used to! Sandy substrate and almond leaves are also common. Goodluck.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll try and stick with the higher pH he's used to (my tap water's pH is about 7.6) but I'll be using driftwood so it might be hard. My bettas are used to clear water but a lot of my research is saying they are normally blackwater so should I just stick with what they're used to or switch? And do you know any good 16" lighting for some moderate light plants like crypts and dwarf hairgrass (heard there's dwarf hairgrass where they live)?

Based on my research, I've decided to go with red substrate, blackwater, and for plants I'll have cryptocoryne wendtii and becketii and dwarf hairgrass with lots of malaysian driftwood. I have one question. If I release tannins into the water via driftwood, will the tannins eventually be all taken out through water changes or do they not get removed and are permanent? And during PWCs, do I have to make the new water blackwater or can I just add clearwater?

Bettafanatic said:
I have one question. If I release tannins into the water via driftwood, will the tannins eventually be all taken out through water changes or do they not get removed and are permanent?

I'm not sure on the Blackwater questions, but any tannins released by the wood will be removed over time through water changes, they are not permanent but may remain for a while if the wood is still releasing them.

Another thing about the tannins, I have read a lot about boiling and soaking the wood to remove them, but I think it all depends on the individual piece.

I soaked mine for only a few days in cold water (changed once) and I havent had any tannin issues. I think it would be obvious after the first soak if the wood if releasing a lot or not.

Thanks everyone. If the wood are only temporary methods of getting blackwater then how to I keep having the blackwater after the tannins are all gone?

there are some methods of keeping you water black, the only two way I know is from manzanita wood and indian almond leaves. the leaves will stain your water, but like the rest, will go away in time with all the wc that will take place. if you like the fallen leaves theme, you can get indian almond leaves and replace them everytime they rot away. or it can just be placed temporarily for the tannins to leach out in your tank.

I think I have some pics of indian almond leaves in my profile.

Can I use peat moss in the filter as a more permanent blackwater source? But then again, my betta has been living in clearwater for a long time, so would the change to blackwater be stressful?

I think some members here said that they do that too, the color change shouldnt cause stress to the fish, imo.

oh, not to discourage your idea, I believe in someway or other, the peat could lose color overtime also. it,could also last longer too but it still depends on the wc.

It will also help lower the p.H. of your water, so id start with just a little and gradually increase the amount of peat/almond leaves. Your betta will love it! Keep in mind that blackwater filters the light and it might be a little harder to get good growth out of the plants. I haven't experienced this just thinking.

found the link! you might have seen it. by far this is one of my.favorite betta tank that ive seen.

hope it works.

That tank is absolutely beautiful! But how are there three bettas in there without them fighting? Is it something to do with how there's only one male and two females, or the landscape or something? Can that actually be done?

from what I know, the tank is big enough and has enough room for the females to hide from the male.

Huh. Interesting. Okay so anyways I'm going to make a list of the things I'll need. I already have a filter and heater. Gonna go make the list now.

Do you guys know good lighting for a 16" tank? I can't find anything! The only 16" fixtures I could fine would be way too much since I'm not using co2.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom