5g Betta Biotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bettafanatic said:
What about this lighting? Would it be sufficient for the crypts and dwarf hairgrass? Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: All-Glass Aquarium Oak Strip Lights

I have dwarf hair grass from petco (came in a plastic airtight sealed pocket with jelly) planted in my 29 gallon with a hood light that I got from Drs. Foster & Smith online, similar style, one bulb and I added aluminum foil behind the stock bulb, which I may upgrade. This DHG specimen has been planted for 6 weeks and the lights are on a 12 hour daily cycle.

Hmmm, prognosis: eh. The grass was bright green when I purchased it and was not old like plants can get on the shelves. 6 weeks later planted in fine gravel with a base of Eco-complete substrate it has not grown noticeably and looks a bit tired but still intact and mostly green. Some strands are tipped in decay but a few could be new growth, so we shall see. I am not impressed but honestly I wonder if a better source of grass would have better results.

People somewhere warned me about DHG but I got it anyway. My current star plant is similar looking only 3" tall not 1", called micro sword. I got this plant from lfs from a cycled tank with happy fish in it as seed bacteria for my new tank. I think it looks quite happy and has been growing nicely! My other plants are in my profile.

I have been waiting to move my tank before adding root tabs or starting any liquid fertilizers. I bought Mopani driftwood and want to pick more plants to attach to it.

Also: I hear good things about Indian almond leaves, and I have seen extract more often than whole leaves but I want to find leaves for my tank. I love the look of the floor if fallen leaves in that video. Great link btw, very inspired now. I really want to find a way to offer lots of shade as I heard Bettas prefer lower light habitats, not sure on that though.

I have dwarf hair grass from petco (came in a plastic airtight sealed pocket with jelly) planted in my 29 gallon with a hood light that I got from Drs. Foster & Smith online, similar style, one bulb and I added aluminum foil behind the stock bulb, which I may upgrade. This DHG specimen has been planted for 6 weeks and the lights are on a 12 hour daily cycle.

Hmmm, prognosis: eh. The grass was bright green when I purchased it and was not old like plants can get on the shelves. 6 weeks later planted in fine gravel with a base of Eco-complete substrate it has not grown noticeably and looks a bit tired but still intact and mostly green. Some strands are tipped in decay but a few could be new growth, so we shall see. I am not impressed but honestly I wonder if a better source of grass would have better results.

People somewhere warned me about DHG but I got it anyway. My current star plant is similar looking only 3" tall not 1", called micro sword. I got this plant from lfs from a cycled tank with happy fish in it as seed bacteria for my new tank. I think it looks quite happy and has been growing nicely! My other plants are in my profile.

I have been waiting to move my tank before adding root tabs or starting any liquid fertilizers. I bought Mopani driftwood and want to pick more plants to attach to it.

Also: I hear good things about Indian almond leaves, and I have seen extract more often than whole leaves but I want to find leaves for my tank. I love the look of the floor if fallen leaves in that video. Great link btw, very inspired now. I really want to find a way to offer lots of shade as I heard Bettas prefer lower light habitats, not sure on that though.

So that lighting would be insufficient? Are you using co2? It's difficult finding good lighting for a 16" tank without co2. Hmm maybe I'll find a way to make a DIY co2 setup with the yeast and sugar thing. Then I can use brighter light. I don't know what do you guys think?

I've decided to use this lighting: Amazon.com: AL-16WM: Finnex FugeRay Unibody Ultra Slim LED Fixture - 16" Daylight +Moonlights: Pet Supplies

I will also use seachem flourish excel to help with growth. What ferts do you suggest? I was planning on using root tabs. Do you think I need anything else? In my 38g tank I dose potassium, phosphorus, nitrogen, and trace. Should I also dose that much in this tank?

I also came up with the total price of everything which, including shipping and tax, comes out to $240. Gonna take a while to save up lol. But once I finally start everything I'll start another thread on building the tank.

pretty sure, if it is oak. still do drop a few vinegar onto the leaves to see if they fizz. if they do, they arent good. >.<

I'll do a double check now. I'm pretty sure I read that oak leaves can be used. And if not I found a website where I can order indian almond leaves from. They were pretty cheap so if I can't use oak they'll be a good substitute.

are you still planning to add peat or still thinkimg about which to use to tan your water? just curious. :]

Might just order the almond leaves because now I'm not sure if my trees are actually oak or not and I don't feel like doing hours of research just to find out. I like the look of the IALs better anyways.

are you still planning to add peat or still thinkimg about which to use to tan your water? just curious. :]

Oh didn't see this. I'm still planning on using peat. It might be a bit difficult to shove into a filter as tiny as the azoo palm filter. I might just go with the indian almond leaves and the driftwood for tannins it'd be easier. Once the driftwood runs out of tannins will the indian almound leaves produce enough tannins alone?

cool. I did have that pack of ial still unsed 3 months ago. I moved and had to throw it away. D: I didnt really have any use of it too. would've given it, for free. haa

So most of the planning is done. I've basically got everything planned out. I decided to switch from dwarf hairgrass to vallisneria spiralis because it turns out dhg isn't actually from southeast asia and for some reason I'm very picky about biotopes.

I'm not sure when I'll go forward with this tank. First I have to finish up my 38 gallon, but I only just started fish-in cycling so I might steal some of it's budget to start gathering supplies for this. And I also am planning on taking down my saltwater tank so I have to do that too. Oh brother...

Anyways, thanks for all your help. I'll let you know when I start it up. Might be until Christmas.

well, when I added ial in my 20 long, it did change color to a satisfactory state. I added 3 full unbroken leaves too. I dont remeber, but it lasted about.... 1 around 2 weeks. I do 30% wc every friday too. oh and I also had activated carbon in my filter too. ehehe I was trying to get rid of the tanins. crud, hope my experiences helped a little.

edit:: it wasnt really dark but satsisfactory.

well, when I added ial in my 20 long, it did change color to a satisfactory state. I added 3 full unbroken leaves too. I dont remeber, but it lasted about.... 1 around 2 weeks. I do 30% wc every friday too. oh and I also had activated carbon in my filter too. ehehe I was trying to get rid of the tanins. crud, hope my experiences helped a little.

edit:: it wasnt really dark but satsisfactory.

Thanks for sharing your experience. All input helps!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom