5G Fluval Chi- Ferts Advice Needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lolliemonster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good Evening! I have a 5 gallon fluval chi with a handful of endlers. Right now I have 1 Java fern, an anubias congensis, java moss, and some floating anacharis. I haven't used an ounce of fertilizers in the last 6 months. All the plants are roughly the same size (the anacharis has been growing and cut in to a few pieces). I just trimmed a few inches off of the java moss as welI. I have fluorite for a substrate.

Now that my outdoor gardens are looking wonderful I would love to shift my focus to my little fish tank. The tank gets a good bit of natural light from western and southern facing windows and from the kit light on the tank. My anubias is starting to get some brown spots (I am not sure if it is a nutrition deficiency or too much light, or not enough water changes). Anyway, I would love some suggestions on easy plants and a fertilizer schedule for such a little tank.

I am also planning on getting some red cherry shrimp as well! There is also another plant in there I have forgotten the name of (kleiner something)! Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPad

Pictures!

Attachments

• image-461630848.jpg
    image-461630848.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 126
  • image-578007889.jpg
    image-578007889.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 82
Good Evening! I have a 5 gallon fluval chi with a handful of endlers. Right now I have 1 Java fern, an anubias congensis, java moss, and some floating anacharis. I haven't used an ounce of fertilizers in the last 6 months. All the plants are roughly the same size (the anacharis has been growing and cut in to a few pieces). I just trimmed a few inches off of the java moss as welI. I have fluorite for a substrate.

Now that my outdoor gardens are looking wonderful I would love to shift my focus to my little fish tank. The tank gets a good bit of natural light from western and southern facing windows and from the kit light on the tank. My anubias is starting to get some brown spots (I am not sure if it is a nutrition deficiency or too much light, or not enough water changes). Anyway, I would love some suggestions on easy plants and a fertilizer schedule for such a little tank.

I am also planning on getting some red cherry shrimp as well! There is also another plant in there I have forgotten the name of (kleiner something)! Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPad

I have the chi, I hate it lol. The filter sucks real bad. If you leave it by the window I think your gonna get some serious algae. The light on that filter is garbage, doesn't even work on mine anymore.

Yeah, I had a hard time getting much to grow in mine. The filter light combo definitely sucks... I mean, the filter works okay for what it is, but I would have a hard time getting it to start back up after a water change. I'd have to unplug, plug it back in several times. The LEDs are garbage for growing plants. I'd stick with what you have if anything. I think the chi is more if a decorative tank, would look cool with a hardscape only, in fact... I recently broke mine down to just the glass and turned it salt... :lol:

As far as ferts, I'd go with flourish comprehensive once a week and flourish excel daily.

The plants would benefit from a dose of Flourish Comprehensive after a WC. Also I've found in very low light tanks using liquid carbon daily actually helps a lot.

Thanks for the advice! I am not the biggest fan of the tank, but my husband is very in to aesthetics and it was the only one we could agree on! I only have the endlers so far so the weekly water changes have kept it all clean enough.

We'll see how flourish and excel help out the plants- I'll update in a couple weeks!

Back
Top Bottom