5g really needs color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is the 5g I've been putting together for the spouse's office at work. Everything is done at this point except now it needs fish and I'm stuck. The original plan was pygmy rasboras. Even after they acclimated and colored up they really couldn't be seen, so small red fish are out. I recently used it as a QT for some furcatas; their colors looked good but they obviously won't work in a 5g. He prefers a pair, trio, or group of small fish over a single. And he doesn't want my male Endlers :rolleyes:

Any ideas?

img_3176818_0_a294dd43a19ab36bf7e0b8549d79b122.jpg

Unfortunately options are very limited for a tank that size. I'm guessing you already suggested the obligatory betta? There are some really cool color morphs and fin types out there.
If it were my tank I'd find a cool betta, crowntail obviously since they're the best, and then use the shrimp and a couple of nerite snails with whatever pattern you like. I'm a fan of the zebra.

Edit: I just saw the "prefers multiple rather than a single," but maybe with all the movement from the shrimp and snails he'd be fine with a single betta.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Unfortunately options are very limited for a tank that size. I'm guessing you already suggested the obligatory betta? There are some really cool color morphs and fin types out there.
If it were my tank I'd find a cool betta, crowntail obviously since they're the best, and then use the shrimp and a couple of nerite snails with whatever pattern you like. I'm a fan of the zebra.

Edit: I just saw the "prefers multiple rather than a single," but maybe with all the movement from the shrimp and snails he'd be fine with a single betta.

That's a nice combination and easy to care for, I'll definitely add it to the list.

You could easily do 4-5 gups in a planted tank of that size.

Definitely a colorful, active option, thanks! It's funny because I've kept so many different types of fish over the years but never guppies!

I just started keeping gups this year, and I have kept so many other fish. Now I'm hooked on em!

At this point he's leaning toward a pair of A. australe :flowers:

I wouldn't do guppies in a tank that small, they really do like to swim around, and multiple males in that confined an area could cause problems, as any that get harassed wouldn't have anywhere to hide.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Possibly scarlet badis. They only grow to an inch long but are bright red and really cute.

I keep guppies in a six gallon fluval with no aggression problems IME. I'm no killi expert, but a pair of austral seems like it could work.

I had six in a ten gallon and they preceded to harass to death one after another. Not saying it's all guppies but it happens, and they're really more active swimmers than a lot of people realize.

Peacock gudgeons are tiny and mellow, not sure if they're suitable to this size of tank but it might be worth the research and I believe they do well in trios.

If your gonna do guppies, do 2 males, as that will keep the aggression down, like some above posted, 3+ males in a tank that small with either harass each other to death, or they will be shy and just hide in the decor all day. And I would also recommend endlers, as you could keep probably 3-4 of them in there as they are smaller, and they are basically smaller guppies.

Back
Top Bottom