5x2x2 tank ideas/suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
I am purchasing a 5x2x2 tank, stand 4ft sump including pump and all fittings for $350. Bargain! It's 150 gallons and was a reef tank. The original plan was to have a SW tank but my husband has lost all interest and I don't want to do all the research on my own! I am far more comfortable with the freshwater side of things. :p

image-2439167379.jpg

image-43902424.jpg

Here is the tank in all its disgusting glory.

Now, the problem is I can't make up my mind what to put in it! My very first thought was an Oscar. I had one as a teen and loved that stupid fish. Sushi lived in my room but died due to lack of knowledge. The thought of another to 'correct' my mistakes is appealing. My LFS has a beautiful red devil that's a real nightmare. I think he's cute so that's another option. Last night I started looking up some ideas and came across some pictures of frontosa. After some reading I think a group of them would be perfect instead of Americans.

I already have Malawi cichlids, goldfish and random community fish so I'm looking for something different.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I think that oscars are a great idea, paired with something like a rhino pleco and some sort of catfish for the bottom
Or a semi aggressive tank
I used to have a 125 agressive tank with freshwater lion fish, African butterfly fish, black ghost knife, red tailed barracuda, and prehistoric dragon goby
That had to have been the best tank I've ever had

have you thought of trying discus? I know they're pretty hard to care for but they are stunning!!

I think that oscars are a great idea, paired with something like a rhino pleco and some sort of catfish for the bottom
Or a semi aggressive tank
I used to have a 125 agressive tank with freshwater lion fish, African butterfly fish, black ghost knife, red tailed barracuda, and prehistoric dragon goby
That had to have been the best tank I've ever had

Very very tempting to get oscars. This maybe my only chance to stock a tank this size.

have you thought of trying discus? I know they're pretty hard to care for but they are stunning!!

Great idea. Cant believe I didn't think of them as a possibility. I would have to invest in an RO unit though. I have very hard water which is why I've been sticking to Africans and goldfish so far.

Oh them devils are soo mean. Id fo 2 oscars and maybe some severums

That's why I like them! :) If I did go that route then it would most likely be the only fish in the tank. I can see my hubby now. Shaking his head and questioning why we spent all this money on one fish. Lol.

I know you said you didn't want community fish but a tank that size with several schools of different tetras would amazing!

Some angelfish would look great with german blue rams and some unique corydoras.

That's why I like them! :) If I did go that route then it would most likely be the only fish in the tank. I can see my hubby now. Shaking his head and questioning why we spent all this money on one fish. Lol.

He will get over it! Just bribe him with something he likes!

Great idea. Cant believe I didn't think of them as a possibility. I would have to invest in an RO unit though. I have very hard water which is why I've been sticking to Africans and goldfish so far.

What's your water test on the hard side? The RO unit will do the job as you know but from what i gather folks with very hard water will be buying new filters much often. Other run it through their softener before going in the RO unit. Just an FYI on the money side of it- filters

What's your water test on the hard side? The RO unit will do the job as you know but from what i gather folks with very hard water will be buying new filters much often. Other run it through their softener before going in the RO unit. Just an FYI on the money side of it- filters

I feel dumb. How do you test water hardness

It's the same thing as gH (general hardness) API makes a test for it. However many drops it takes to turn the water in the test vile blue (I think) is what your gH is.

Oh, and I think a discus tank would be perfect!!! Plenty of space for them but a little more work.

Or going with an SA tank! An Oscar or something and other medium-large SA's would be awesome as well.

I know you said you didn't want community fish but a tank that size with several schools of different tetras would amazing!

Some angelfish would look great with german blue rams and some unique corydoras.

I agree. It would look amazing. I am a real fan. I did have a planted 70gal tank with cories, tetras and gouramis for about a year but I swapped most of my plants and fish for Malawi cichlids. I find small planted tanks are more my style. I have many of them. :)

He will get over it! Just bribe him with something he likes!

Hahaha!

That's something I was looking into and worried about in the week of research I did for a SW tank. The calcium deposits on my shower and kitchen taps get very bad very quickly so I can only imagine what it would do to a RO unit.

It's the same thing as gH (general hardness) API makes a test for it. However many drops it takes to turn the water in the test vile blue (I think) is what your gH is.

Oh, and I think a discus tank would be perfect!!! Plenty of space for them but a little more work.

Or going with an SA tank! An Oscar or something and other medium-large SA's would be awesome as well.

Discus are definitely something to think about. I would be tempted to do another planted tank though. :/

Found I'm being drawn to Cyphotilapia frontosa and Cyphotilapia gibberosa. Been doing some reading and they seem like really interesting and beautiful fish. Anyone have any input on that idea?

As Oohitsae point out there is an API test to check for hardness. Just for fun you can try the video below.

That's something I was looking into and worried about in the week of research I did for a SW tank. The calcium deposits on my shower and kitchen taps get very bad very quickly so I can only imagine what it would do to a RO unit.

That is some hard water....The sump looks very nice & adds great vol. lvl..That would be a killer SW aquarium. Either way you go looking forward to it....

picture_2.png

Test for Hard Water - YouTube

A tank with tangynikian cichlids would be nice.

You know what. That is the direction I think I'm going. Really liking the look of frontosa ATM. Spent the better part of my Saturday reading about them while hubby plays Xbox. Like the idea of getting a heap of them and taking a few years to grow them out.

As Oohitsae point out there is an API test to check for hardness. Just for fun you can try the video below.

That is some hard water....The sump looks very nice & adds great vol. lvl..That would be a killer SW aquarium. Either way you go looking forward to it....

Test for Hard Water - YouTube

I'm sure there will be a build thread. :) Haven't got the tank yet. Only put a deposit on it so it might be a while before its ready to even set up. The stand is definitely going to be painted and the tank and sump will probably take me a few days to clean up. Then there's heating, substrate, rocks, background, etc. to think about.

You could just have some unique tanganykian cichlids like triglachromis otostigma or paracyprachromis nigripinnis

Back
Top Bottom