6 Gallon Fluval Edge Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shadey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello!
I am new. I have been lurking about for awhile, but I kind of rather like the vibe of this place, so I thought maybe I would post too.

Last summer I picked up a 6 gallon fluval edge. It is a very pretty tank, but it has some unique... challenges. Like lighting. Everything is under the hood, which does not cover the entire top of the tank, so there is a kind of spotlight effect. Which is cool sometimes, I guess.

(Aug 2010)

fluval_04.jpg

Fluval black sand, some java moss, and a scavenged crypt. (Aug 2010)

fluval_05.jpg

After my plant order showed up. (Nov 2010). Also replaced the stock lights with some very bright white MR11s, and grabbed some silly looking LED lamps from Ikea. The plants are from TNTaquaria, and all of the plants were super healthy, and either they count bunches very large, or someone was feeling nice and I got a LOT of extra plants.

Crypt willisii, anubias nana petite, and uh.. some other crypt. I wish I had pictures of a few months later, when the back wall turned into a dense complete jungle.

fluval_07.jpg

Copper betta plakat. He photographs badly, but under direct light his scales are kind of a gold color.

fluval_08.jpg

A series of vigorous rearrangeings last month kind of decimated everything. Crypts don't like being moved, and I forgot they don't like Flourish Excel much either. Oops! New growth is starting to come in now, though.

fluval_may11_01.jpg

I had bought some rainbow rock (http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/shadeykins/rainbow.jpg) from a LFS, and all of my amano shrimp died. I was assured of it being "aquarium safe", and they have a pretty major selection of rocks available, but after much internet searchings, the only conclusion I can come to is that the red streaks are possibly copper and shrimps do not like that very much. This is what I'm currently left with. I need to do another sweep of the substrate and get the rest of the sad crypt stems...

fluval_may11_02.jpg

I am thinking of taking a hammer to the black rocks I had in there before, and making a more reasonably sized hardscape. I really wish I could have a nice carpet of some kind of plant covering the whole substrate, but 6 gallons is so small!

I also think I am the only person in the entire world who cannot get java moss to grow.

Thoughts / suggestions / posts of any kind are welcome.
Thanks and hi!

Tank looks great! I rearranged my tank I dont know how many times and I'm sure there will be more rearranging that is going to happen :D

That is a super cool tank!! Thanks for joining us, we are glad you did :)

Wow, looks great! Personally, I like the first arrangement better but that's just me. :) Also, sorry to hear about your shrimp. It always sucks to lose those cute little invertebrates.

Plants came in last week! It looks very jungley now.
New plants:
Dwarf Hairgrass
Crypt wendtii tropica
Crypt retrospiralis
Crypt parva

All of the plants were really nice, with the exception of the hairgrass. It said "6x6 portion" but I got two 6x6 wire grids with small patches of hairgrass on them instead.

I played with the macro/exposure settings on my camera, and managed to get a decent closeup shot. Full tank technique still needs work.
edge_drift.jpg

If only I'd cleaned the glass.

I put in driftwood and tied my anubias nana plants to it. I poured boiling water over it a few times, but maybe not enough... white fuzzy stuff is growing on it!

edge_fuzz01.jpg

edge_fuzz02.jpg

Although a forum search says that maybe... this is normal?
Search: Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Search Results

If its bad I will get it out and boil that sucker some more, but all that work tying plants to it, and then carefully wedging it into the back side of the tank... !

Driftwood cleared up on its own... woo. I was not relishing the thought of retying all that nana.

Dwarf hairgrass was not thriving... was to be expected, I guess. Oh well, experiments.

Switched out about 2/3rds of the sand for fluval black... and let me say.. I wish I had gotten this in the first place! No plants floating out, no sand blowing away and leaving giant craters... its great, and it looks just as nice.

Pics!

edge_jun01.jpg

Um. Kindly ignore the extra filter sponge just hanging out.

edge_jun02.jpg

edge_jun03.jpg

edge_shrimp01.jpg

Currently:

More plants.

edge_jul01.jpg
edge_jul02.jpg

Also, cherry shrimp are adorable.

Back
Top Bottom