6 week old 36G tank has 0.5 ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am new to aquariums and have had my 36G tank up about 6 weeks, I have 4 platy's, 3 tetras and 3 cory cats.

I checked my ammonia on Monday and it was 0.5 so I did a 10 gallon water change and really cleaned the gravel, the water came out tan. (the reason I did 10 gallons)

I checked it again Friday night and it was still 0.5, so I changed another 5 gallons, water only no cleaning. Checked the ammonia again this afternoon and it was still 0.5

Did I mess up the cycle by cleaning the gravel so vigorously?
Should I change the filter too or clean it?
should I change out another 10 gallons and not clean the gravel?
Do the filters really need changing every 2-4 weeks as the filter says?

Sorry for the newb questions, but I don't wanna lose my fish kids.

Since it's 36 gallons you are safe to change at least 18 gallons of the water at a time. The most important thing to do is to temp match the new water and dechlorinate it. Do as many consecutive 50% water changes it takes to bring the Ammonia and Nitrites down below 0.25 ppm.

You may have slowed your cycle by cleaning the gravel that well but I wouldn't worry about it much. I wouldn't do any heavy gravel cleaning, just enough to get the big pieces of waste that you observe.

I wouldn't clean the filter just yet. You can rinse off the filter media in a bucket of tank water that you use from a water change. Do not rinse off the filter media in tap water. The chlorine will harm the beneficial bacteria on it.

I like to clean the filters out every month but I save the media as long as it will last. What kind of filter do you have? Most of those companies just want to sell you more filter cartridges.

Check your tap water, out of the tap mine is .5, I use a detoxifier to bring it down so it's safer for the fish. I just recently went through the same thing a couple weeks ago. Figured it out though :)

thanks billbug and laser. I checked my tap water and it had zero ammonia.

Bill, what did you find on yours?
laser, I have Penguin filters. I'll do the 50% change.

Back
Top Bottom