60 Gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXGuy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I am brand new to the hobby but am very excited to get going! I set up my 60 gallon about 3 weeks ago now with play sand, filter, heater, 2 plants, and have been cycling ever since (Fishless). All levels were good except pH(Slightly low) initially, so I added a pH booster then did a 25% water change after the first two weeks and all levels have stayed very good. The only thing I noticed is a couple days ago these little snails started appearing and I'm not sure if they were in the sand or how they got in my tank. I rinsed all the sand for a while before putting it in. Right now there are only 2 little ones that crawl on the walls (Picture attached), but I was not sure if they might pose a problem? I am going on a 2 weeks' vacation starting at the end of next week so as soon as I return from that I am going to a fish-in cycle; but any knowledge or suggestions from others would be a huge benefit. Thanks in advance!

Water Levels: (I use Tetra Easy Strips; Are they pretty accurate?)
Nitrate-0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Hardness- 40/50 ppm
Chlorine- 0 ppm
Alkalinity- 50 ppm (Low?)
pH- 7.0 ppm
Ammonia- 0 ppm

Tank:
Marineland 60 gal Heartland (48x13x24)
Penguin Biowheel 350 filter
Top Fin 300 watt heater
Quikrete premium play sand
2 Anacharis plants

Attachments

• Fishless.jpg
    Fishless.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Snail.jpg
    Snail.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 103
As for the snail you most likely had snail eggs on the plants. This is quite common and if you have 2 most likely you have more. Can't tell by the picture (too small and can't see the shell shape) what they are but most commonly you get pond snails or eggs as hitch hikers on plants. If you don't want them you can make a DIY snail trap or get some leaf lettuce, run it under hot water until it softens and place it in the tank. Collect and dispose of snails as they get on it to eat. Or if you don't ever want snails in your tank you could get an assissin snail. But again once in there unless it dies or you catch it, which is doubtful, you won't be able to add any good snails such as Nerites or Mayalasian Trumpet snails. Once you start adding fish and feeding them the snails once big enough will start breeding. IMO trapping them is best.

TXGuy said:
Hello,
I am brand new to the hobby but am very excited to get going! I set up my 60 gallon about 3 weeks ago now with play sand, filter, heater, 2 plants, and have been cycling ever since (Fishless). All levels were good except pH(Slightly low) initially, so I added a pH booster then did a 25% water change after the first two weeks and all levels have stayed very good. The only thing I noticed is a couple days ago these little snails started appearing and I'm not sure if they were in the sand or how they got in my tank. I rinsed all the sand for a while before putting it in. Right now there are only 2 little ones that crawl on the walls (Picture attached), but I was not sure if they might pose a problem? I am going on a 2 weeks' vacation starting at the end of next week so as soon as I return from that I am going to a fish-in cycle; but any knowledge or suggestions from others would be a huge benefit. Thanks in advance!

Water Levels: (I use Tetra Easy Strips; Are they pretty accurate?)
Nitrate-0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Hardness- 40/50 ppm
Chlorine- 0 ppm
Alkalinity- 50 ppm (Low?)
pH- 7.0 ppm
Ammonia- 0 ppm

Tank:
Marineland 60 gal Heartland (48x13x24)
Penguin Biowheel 350 filter
Top Fin 300 watt heater
Quikrete premium play sand
2 Anacharis plants

You'll want to get a liquid test kit, much more accurate & will last months. If you change to a fish IN cycle you'll need to test your water daily & do water changes based on the test results. Are you adding an ammonia source to cycle your tank currently? If not your tank isn't cycling as the ammonia is required to build BB. Also test your tap water to see what your starting levels are. Most advise against adjusting your Ph, water changes usually keep it stable & fish will adjust to it.

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to look into making a trap for those snails. As for the chemicals, I forgot to mention that I put in a bacteria supplement when I initially set up the tank and again after the water change I mentioned in the first post. For the pH booster; I only added it once and after that and the water change the levels have stayed great. I will look into a liquid test kit, any recommendations on brand or model?

TXGuy said:
Thanks for the responses, I'm going to look into making a trap for those snails. As for the chemicals, I forgot to mention that I put in a bacteria supplement when I initially set up the tank and again after the water change I mentioned in the first post. For the pH booster; I only added it once and after that and the water change the levels have stayed great. I will look into a liquid test kit, any recommendations on brand or model?

The api freshwater master test kit is very reliable most of us here use and trust it im glad i got mine never doin strips again lol

If you could get some filter media from you lfs or from a friend with an established tank, that would really speed up your cyle. And remember when doing a fish-in cycle it will require a lot more water changes and you have to watch the parameters of your tank carefully. If you could find pure ammonia I would actually recommend doing a fishless cycle, its easier, less work, and you can add the fish you want the most pretty much right when the tank cycles.

Most bottled bacteria supplements dont work. Even if it had the bacteria still need an ammonia source to multiply and colonize the bacteria.

Nice tank...watch out for those cute little Anacharis plants, fish love them...As my first time doing live plants, I bought them, 5 bundles, not knowing I was buying my fish a buffet...lol....

If you could get some filter media from you lfs or from a friend with an established tank, that would really speed up your cyle. And remember when doing a fish-in cycle it will require a lot more water changes and you have to watch the parameters of your tank carefully. If you could find pure ammonia I would actually recommend doing a fishless cycle, its easier, less work, and you can add the fish you want the most pretty much right when the tank cycles.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I don't understand what you mean by filter media:facepalm:. I installed the regular blue filter trays into the filter when I set my tank up. Did I need something else?? As for the ammonia, I am going to try finding some to do the fishless cycle. I don't want to harm any fish cause I am ignorant...

Nice tank...watch out for those cute little Anacharis plants, fish love them.
Thanks for the heads up! My wife and I are wanting to do a moderately planted tank so we still have some room for decor; are there certain plants better for this set up or will the fish pretty much each any of them lol?:fish2:

Filter media is the filter pads that you put inside the filter. The beneficial bacteria live on these which do stuff like control ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels.

Are you adding any ammonia? If not the cycle can't start; the bacteria you want to grow need an ammonia source either from fish (fish-in cycle) or from you adding pure ammonia (fishless cycle). Letting the tank run won't cycle it and the bacteria stuff you added, even if it might work, couldn't do anything without an ammonia source to feed off of. Here's a link for you: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Filter media is the filter pads that you put inside the filter. The beneficial bacteria live on these which do stuff like control ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels.
Thats what I thought, just wanted to make sure I did not forget anything! Now just to get mine established. Thank you!

Are you adding any ammonia? If not the cycle can't start; the bacteria you want to grow need an ammonia source either from fish (fish-in cycle) or from you adding pure ammonia (fishless cycle). Letting the tank run won't cycle it and the bacteria stuff you added, even if it might work, couldn't do anything without an ammonia source to feed off of.
I have not added ammonia but have read multiple articles now on fishless cycling and plan on starting that as soon as I get home from vacation. It will postpone getting some fish for the tank, but I think it will be better over all. Will it hurt that I have added a bacteria supplement already or will it evetually balance itself out as long as I keep adding the 4ppm of ammonia when cycling and stop adding the supplement at water changes?

Back
Top Bottom