60 gal. Hex - Plant & Stocking Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goofyboots13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Long story short, I recently had some kind of fungus, or something, ravage my tank recently, and the only fish left are a dalmation molly, and a chinese algae eater.

Currently have crushed coral substrate, and a few rocks left. Filtration is a Magnum 250, and a medium sized sponge filter in the bottom.

Threw most everything I had, away. As you can see, its a blank canvas now. Figured I would come here and maybe get some suggestions on some of your favorite plants, or what you think would look really nice and work with the height of the hexagon tank. Was thinking of going with the silk/cloth plants instead of the plastic, as they seem like they would look more natural.

As far as stocking fish, I'm not really sure. I used to keep cichlids for quite a few years, and had the tank in the computer room for a while. When I moved it to the living room, I decided to start over and try a different mix of fish. I had, what seemed like, a pretty good mix in there for a couple months, but as stated above, they are gone now. Had three little angels, two pictus cats, two tiger barbs, two dalmation mollies, a little red tail shark, pleco, two chinese algae eaters.

I'd like a good range of sizes shapes and colors, and a school or two, but I'm not to hip to how many and what types to keep it lively at all water levels, and somewhat full, but not overstocked. I know swimming space can be an issue in a hex.

I'm going to get some good water changes in for the next month before I add any fish in due to what happened though. I had my water tested, and all levels were spot on, but just don't want to take any chances.

Attachments

• 20121202_123945.jpg
    20121202_123945.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 445
I would sugguest you try to grow hornwart. It is a very easy plant to grow and grows very quickly. It can be left floating around or planted, and shouldnt take long before a small piece grows tall in your hexagon tank.

greetings.

my favorite plant is Shinnersia rivularis 'Weiss-Grün', however that one is a bit tough to keep.

however, in my tank i planted alot of crypts right at the front side of the tank, and it turned out much better than i could have imagined. it's like an underwater forrest, looking close i can see the corydoras puff around in there too.

You stated you have crushed coral as your substrate? Have you done a PH/KH/GH reading on that tank. Most likely those readings are too high to keep most if any plants in. You need to address this issue before considering plants.

Yeah, I was going to stay with fake plants, but maybe try cloth instead of plastic this time around for a different look. Although the it has crossed my mind to change up the crushed coral too.

Silk plants are good, alot better than the plastic ones IMO. But that crushed coral really should go because it is going to make your tank water super hard with a high ph and not too many tropical fish will be able to tolerate that.

After you address your crushed coral issue with having a tank in that shape a pair of Angelfish would look really good. Then you could do a school of 7-8 Cardinal or Rummynose Tetras, and a second school of something like Harlequin Rasboras, Lemon Tetras, or even Diamond Tetras for a fish with a different body shape. You could add 4-6 Cory Cats for bottom activity or 6 Kuhli Loaches or 3 yo-yo loaches. It would be simple yet eloquent. The poor molly could join the crew but in all honestly I'd re-home the chinese algae eater. It may be small right now but they get big and they tend to get quite aggressive. Down the road if you wanted you could add something like Nerite Snails for added interest. They can't reproduce in freshwater and you have Horned Nerites (my favorite), Olive Nerites, and the larges Tiger Nerites which come in various colors and patterns. I have about 40 Olive and Tiger Nerites in my 220g and plan to get some Horned when I can find them.

Thanks for the suggestions, and advice in here. Going to try and get this project going pretty soon.

First question...what's the best way to go about changing the coral since I have two fish in there already (guess I could just take them back to the store since I'm re-stocking anyway)? I'm guessing a sandy substrate would probably be the best way to go? I've never used it (always had coral for cichlids), so are there any certain brands/types/colors I should look for?

My local store has a nice nice tall, branchy (is that a word? lol) piece of driftwood that would fit really nice in the hex, and give some height, the just plant around it.

So far, from the above suggestions, and browsing around the forum a bit, here is my running list of possible fish. Decisions, decisions....just need to narrow it down the the best combination of breed and numbers for a 60 gallon hexagon. Pretty wide range, I know...lots of possibilities. I do like the suggestion above though.
Rummynose Tetras
Cardinal Tetras
Lemon Tetras
Diamond Tetras
Neon Tetras
Harlequin Rasboras
Cory Cats
Kuhli Loaches
yo-yo loaches
Rosey Barbs
Platys
Hatchet Fish
Giant Danios
Gouramis
Bristle Nose Pleco
Angels
And I still have my lonely female Dalmation Molly and chinese algae eater. They were the only survivors of the plague that ran through my tank.

No matter what I go with, one other thing I wonder is, how many fish to add at one time? Is it better to add the different species over a certain amount of time, or could I add them all at the same time?

Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Personally I'd rehome the two remaining fish, drain the tank, remove the crushed coral, then add the new substrate. Sand is okay, as is small gravel since your going with silk/fake plants. Bear in mind many fish color up better with dark substrate so black is always a good color choice.

As for the amount of fish you can use the numbers I gave in an earlier post as stocking levels. I don't think Giant Danios, any Gourami other than Dwarf, Honey, or Pearl Gourami would be suitable (especially temperment wise), Hatchets need a lid as they can be jumpers but are good upper level swimmers. Not a fan of Barbs and could be an issue with nippiness with the Angels. And you could add a BN Pleco if desired but Albino BNP tend to stay out more during the day. Plus they have to have DW to rasp on as they need it to aid in digestion.

I really agree with Rivercats. Here is what I would do though.

Take out the crushed coral, and put sand in there. You can start out with easy plants such as Hornwort, Valls, Crypts, Wisteria, most mosses, Anubias, and those types of things.
Driftwood would look nice too.

For fish this is what I would put in there:
8 Rummy Nose Tetras
8 Silver Tip Tetras
6 Hatchet Fish
+1 Molly
5 Cory Cats
5 Nerite Snails.

Re-home your Chinese Algae Eater.
Make sure your tank is cycled. Then I would add the fish like this:

Week one after cycle:
Your two mollies

Week 2
4 Rummy Nose Tetras

Week 3
4 Rummy Nose Tetras

Week 4
6 Hatchet Fish

Week 5
8 Silver Tip Tetras

Week 6
5 Cory Cats and 5 Nerite Snails. By then, you will have enough algae for them to much on, but I would still supplement their diet with algae wafers.

The only issue I have is that Silver tip tetras are nippy little buggers, even when kept in larger numbers. And since the tank is a hex it would make it hard for other fish to get away especially since silver tips are also very fast.

The only issue I have is that Silver tip tetras are nippy little buggers, even when kept in larger numbers. And since the tank is a hex it would make it hard for other fish to get away especially since silver tips are also very fast.

Yeah, that's true..... Lemon Tetras are similar though, right? Just less nippy?

Good stuff guys. I would never have thought I could put that many fish in there. Going to be a process, but excited to get started. Have to decide on sand or gravel, and figure out a nice layout.

Been browsing around the web a bit today, and think I may go with live plants. I like the idea that they help out with the ecosystem by using some of the waste that gets down in the substrate.

I've seen a lot of different pictures and videos today. I'm thinking a nice tall piece of drift wood with some java fern attached, and some dwarf sedge for the bottom. Those seem to be good beginner plants. Just need to find some taller ones for the back. The swords look nice too

Your lighting will determine what type plants you can use. For tying in DW you can use Anubia, Java Fern, both regular and Wendilov, and Bolbitus (African Fern). Plus in a tall that like that Vals would look good, then other plants determined by lighting.

The lid covers all but the back where the filter and heater hang, and the light fixture holds three 18" bulbs with two Ocean Sun 10,000K on one switch, and one Coral Sun Actinic 420 on the other.

If possible you should change out the atinic bulb to another 10000K or 6700K since the plants will be able to use the light they produce. As for plants I'd definitely do something like corkscrew va, some water sprite (which grow tall and bushy but has delicate leaves and can be kept trimmed to whatever size and height you want), maybe a sword (they can get pretty big overall and would take up alot of room), some nice crypts, and if you can get DW you can get anubia's, java ferns (regular and Wendilov), and Bolbitus. Also mosses can be used on DW. If you used a stem plant I'd go with something like Ambulia.

Ok, so I pretty much have the stock, and plants narrowed down. Thank you!

Now for the substrate. Tried a couple Google searches for the best or natural looking for an Amazon tank, and most of the results lead to some stuff called Eco Complete.

Do you have any experience or opinion on it?

Ok, so I pretty much have the stock, and plants narrowed down. Thank you!

Now for the substrate. Tried a couple Google searches for the best or natural looking for an Amazon tank, and most of the results lead to some stuff called Eco Complete.

Do you have any experience or opinion on it?

I actually use Eco-complete in all my tanks. I either have it solely as a substrate or dirt capped with Eco. I like it and have always had good luck with it. Be sure to get the black as they have a red Eco also. Dark substrates brings out the color of plants and many fish color up better with a dark substrate.

Back
Top Bottom