60 gallon goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_lover

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm getting a 60 gallon for my birthday ( 7 days :D ) and I was thinking of getting these fish

•Oranda goldfish

•telescope eye goldfish

• black moor goldfish

• rubber lip pleco ?

But I've heard that Plecos will suck the slime coat and scales off of the goldfish D: but I could always just try and get one to see if it works out because all fish are different , but if you know any other big fish that can be with the 3 goldfish in a 60 gal. Than tell me please , I know tropical fish can't really be with cold water fish so if there is a fish that can be in colder water ( there will probably be a heater ) please tell me :)

But I've heard that Plecos will suck the slime coat and scales off of the goldfish D: but I could always just try and get one to see if it works out because all fish are different , but if you know any other big fish that can be with the 3 goldfish in a 60 gal. Than tell me please , I know tropical fish can't really be with cold water fish so if there is a fish that can be in colder water ( there will probably be a heater ) please tell me :)

Yes you are correct plecos are known to suck the slime coat of goldfish, which causes a lot of stress and leaves the goldfish open to disease. Generally, most algae-sucking catfish are not good to have with goldfish as they either latch to them or they are small enough for the goldfish to eat, which can lead to both of the fish dying.

It is hard to find a fish compatible with your goldfish. I have 2 juvenile fancies and the only other tank mates they have are snails: 1 mystery and 2 nerites.

Yes you are correct plecos are known to suck the slime coat of goldfish, which causes a lot of stress and leaves the goldfish open to disease. Generally, most algae-sucking catfish are not good to have with goldfish as they either latch to them or they are small enough for the goldfish to eat, which can lead to both of the fish dying. It is hard to find a fish compatible with your goldfish. I have 2 juvenile fancies and the only other tank mates they have are snails: 1 mystery and 2 nerites.

Kay , and cool :)

They are also not temperature compatible. Gold fish are a cold water fish and plecos are a warmer water tropical fish so if you get either type of fish at the other temperature you run the risk of shortening the other's. Or just plain killing the other fish.

The only problem I've ever had with plecos and goldfish is when the goldfish are sick and immobile. If they were healthy and active they were never bothered.

Same goes for any fish though, really. I've had plecos rasp the scales right off of a dying cichlid.

They are also not temperature compatible. Gold fish are a cold water fish and plecos are a warmer water tropical fish so if you get either type of fish at the other temperature you run the risk of shortening the other's. Or just plain killing the other fish.

Ya you're right , I'm thinking of getting this

Oranda

2 ryukins

Black moor

And maybe a gold commet , shubunkin , Sarasa goldfish , (I don't know which one it is lol ) if they still have it

The only problem I've ever had with plecos and goldfish is when the goldfish are sick and immobile. If they were healthy and active they were never bothered. Same goes for any fish though, really. I've had plecos rasp the scales right off of a dying cichlid.

Ya they can be dangerous lol and that sad :(

hillstream loaches need high amounts of water flow which goldfish will not tolerate and clean water which will not happen in a goldfish tank. snails are a much better idea

Guys I am getting. A 46 bow front now because I found a cheap one on cragslist And I'm checking it out tomorrow , so I was thinking about getting an Oranda , 2 ryukins ( red and calico ) , and a black moor

I would stick to your original stock plan of three fancies. The three you have listed all have the potential to grow huge with proper care. Add some interesting large snails. If your unsure of how large these guys grow, please check out the pics below as well as read the article posted below. Singletail pond fish (comets, shubunkins, etc) should not be housed with fancies and this tank is only suitable for a single pond fish.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Goldfish 101-
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Guys I am getting. A 46 bow front now because I found a cheap one on cragslist And I'm checking it out tomorrow , so I was thinking about getting an Oranda , 2 ryukins ( red and calico ) , and a black moor

I would stick to two ryukins OR an oranda and moor, not all four in a 46bow. These are deep tanks with a small footprint. Longterm, you may have to upgrade even with just two fancies.

I would stick to your original stock plan of three fancies. The three you have listed all have the potential to grow huge with proper care. Add some interesting large snails. If your unsure of how large these guys grow, please check out the pics below as well as read the article posted below. Singletail pond fish (comets, shubunkins, etc) should not be housed with fancies and this tank is only suitable for a single pond fish. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f135/why-fancy-goldfish-require-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html Goldfish 101- http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Okay , I just didn't know what to get I was excited XD , and and I have 2 mystery snails but there are in my betta tanks , and ya I know they can get really big , and Kay i

Ya you're right , I'm thinking of getting this

Oranda

2 ryukins

Black moor

And maybe a gold commet , shubunkin , Sarasa goldfish , (I don't know which one it is lol ) if they still have it

One should not mix fancies and single tails. Single tails need a lot more room than fancies. With a 60g tank, I would stick with 3-4 fancies maximum. If you wanted to go with single tails, you could get away with 2 at the absolute most. Don't forgot, you have to have really great filtration. 10x the tank size. So with a 60g tank, you would need filtration of 600 gph.

One should not mix fancies and single tails. Single tails need a lot more room than fancies. With a 60g tank, I would stick with 3-4 fancies maximum. If you wanted to go with single tails, you could get away with 2 at the absolute most. Don't forgot, you have to have really great filtration. 10x the tank size. So with a 60g tank, you would need filtration of 600 gph.

I'm not even getting goldfish anymore , I got a 46 gallon and got some small cichlids

Back
Top Bottom