60 Gallon tank, Angels, and Discus.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarah E

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I have a 60 Gallon tank, that I am going to have a pair of angelfish (i think they're either a pair, or two females). I would like to add 1. a school of Rummy Nose Tetras, and some Discus.

I know that Discus have to be in a small group, as they are community fish. My filter runs 400 gallons per hour and is an emperor. I would be doing big water changes twice a week, once Saturday and once Wednesday.

Could I put 4-6 Discus, with 2 angelfish and a school of 5-8 Rummynose Tetra in this tank?

Welcome to AA! :)

If the angels are indeed a pair, I would not recommend keeping discus with them. Also, while a lot of people recommend keeping angels with discus I've read in a few discus specific books that they recommend against doing so because of the lack of disease resistance in the discus and the tendency of angels to harbor disease. A pair of angels or 4 discus would be fine with a school of rummies or like tetra and a pair of dwarf cichlids though. Maybe even future room on the bottom for a few cories. Just my 2 cents. Again, welcome and I'm looking forward to updates!

^agreed^ Discus are very beautiful yet very delicate fish. Your best bet is to do one or the other. Don't mix them with angels. I lost about 6 turquois discus before I got rid of my angels thinking they were picking on them only to figure out in closer examination they had ich. :( Do small tetra schools. If u like the rummy nose maybe check out the von rio tetras too. Those and the cardinal tetras are 2 of my favorites. And a small school of maybe 2-4 cory cats would be a good bottom feeding staff.

Okay. I'll go with the angles then. :)

How does this sound.
Pair of angelfish
4 Pearl Gourami
5-8 Rummy Nose tetra,
2 or 3 dwarf cychlids
2-4 Cory cats.

I've kept gouramis for years now and they can be nasty but pearls usually aren't too bad. As far as dwarf cichlids do blue rams or kribensis and it might not be smart to mix cihclids with tetras. Even tho dwarfs are less agressive they are still cichlids.

Nice. I would probably go with either the pearls or the dwarfs; but you could likely do both if you stock gradually, filter well, and have good maintenance practices. Depending on the temperament of the angels of course.

Back
Top Bottom