65 Or 75 Gallon on main floor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m0stUniQue

Aquarium Advice Activist
I live in a bungalow and plan to have either a 65 or 75 gallon aquarium in my bedroom it would be against a wall on a desk with two legs approximately 1 foot by 1 foot weight pretty evenly distributed, so my question will my floor support it? Do I have to worry about my desk falling through the ceiling to the basement?

m0stUniQue said:
I live in a bungalow and plan to have either a 65 or 75 gallon aquarium in my bedroom it would be against a wall on a desk with two legs approximately 1 foot by 1 foot weight pretty evenly distributed, so my question will my floor support it? Do I have to worry about my desk falling through the ceiling to the basement?

I'd be more worried about if the desk will hold the tank then the floor. I'd say your fine with the floor.

If you go in the basement can you see the floor beams? If you can just make sure the stand/tank are resting on the beams and not off center. But either way I'm sure you'll be fine. Just check the desk to make sure. You can use a level also to see of the floor is level. Then every now and then check the tank with the level and see if the bubble moved from the last time. If it has then there might be an issue.

I check my 75g every now and again with a level just for peace of mind.

Aha is there any way to test it? Like what about me and my dad both sitting on the desk along with my 29 gallon? Just for an estimate? Aha :p do you know of any aquarium 48 inches long and like 16 inches wide? Cause my desk is juuuuust short of 18 inches and as far as the desk to my testing so far it's been very sturdy

m0stUniQue said:
Aha is there any way to test it? Like what about me and my dad both sitting on the desk along with my 29 gallon? Just for an estimate? Aha :p do you know of any aquarium 48 inches long and like 16 inches wide? Cause my desk is juuuuust short of 18 inches and as far as the desk to my testing so far it's been very sturdy

No I don't sorry :(

But yeah you both can sit on it and see what happens lol.

Just keep in mind that a gallon of water weighs about 8.35 pounds.

So, water, substrate, decor, equipment etc... Take all that into account. But I still say the floor is fine. Now can the desk handle the weight, that's the question.

Also I could me mistaken but I think a larger tank like a 75g would require a tank stand. I think it has to do with the whole tank not being on an object. Most stands for bigger tanks are open in the center.

image-1087951651.jpg

image-3169221984.jpg

image-652851797.jpg

image-2976870072.jpg

Again I'm no expert my any means. This is just from research and being on this forum. I think there's a reason the stands are built that way. So the pressure sits on the edges of the tank. The tank is designed that way.

Last edited:
From what I researched no matter what the tank is out on only the edges will touch the flat surface there is always an air pocket for support so manufacturers simply cut costs I guess by not having to fill out an entire metal stand. One more question would placing like that thick pink foam under the whole tank help?

Reference Chart for basic aquarium sizes.

Aquarium dimensions - reference

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom