6gal fluval edge converting to sw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tbox

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Its taking me forever to pull the trigger on this project. I need a helpful push from you experienced old salties.
Now, ive watched youtube vids on nano sw builds until my eyes glazed over. When the bag of doritos is gone, I take a break. I've gained alot of valuable info, but certainly could use a lot more.
Im starting from scratch except for a few accessories. Im looking to order the refractometer, salt, seachem purigen, powerhead, and additional lighting online(led strips). Id like to keep the lighting within the canopy. This will ultimately limit what I can keep, but its the best look imo. Ill get live sand and a few pieces of live rock at the lfs or locally on CL. Ive got 2 nice pieces of flattish lace rock that id like to use for terraces instead of buying tonga. Is that ok?
I'll get to more questions before this becomes rambling.
Whats the best value refracto, powerhead, and leds to fulfill our needs?
Do you like the idea of a 10gal refugium in the cabinet? Good pump?
Heres some pics of what we're working with.
I could replace the original light with the 10g 4w edge or just leave it out altogether and fill the space with a better option. The spacing for led strips is 1 x 5 3/8 behind the light and 1 x 6 7/8 in front.
Your help and patience is appreciated:)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1439054523070.jpg
    1439054523070.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 1439054574127.jpg
    1439054574127.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 89
You can get refractometers cheap off of ebay easily. Those were the best priced I'd have seen the last time I was thinking about pricing of them.
I like the hydor pumps for smaller tanks. Very well priced and work great.
I love the idea of a sump on every system possible. Bigger it can be the better. Just make sure that you know how much GPH the overflow is and then get a pump that has a larger GPH than it so you can put a ball valve after the pump itself and then cut back the flow so it can match perfectly. This will prevent issues and is actually healthy for the pump itself and can extend the life of the pump.
When it comes to the rock in the tank, just get what you can for cheap. There isn't a need to get rock or sand that is 'live' as when you cycle your tank it will all be live by the time you are done.

Thanks Sniperhank! You've always been on point and provided great advice from what ive been reading.
Im going to build the 10g sump (haven't done it before), because I want the experience.
Any good lighting ideas for the tank?
I'll post some pics when things progress here, or I run into an issue.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lighting for a refugium? You can use a simple clip on work light and just about any bulb from an energy efficient corkscrew up to the hydroponic LEDs.

I am interested to see what lights are recommended for the actual tank and what you will put in there.

The Edge tanks are pretty much a nightmare to work in. I have been considering doing this too not sure since it is so hard to get into place where you drop stuff in the tank and clean the inside glass. But such a beautiful tank. I love mine and now have 3.

Back
Top Bottom