6th tank, sage advise needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't figure it out on my phone, I'll hop on the laptop later
Edit: I'm a turd, figured it out. Inbox cleared

Thanks Brooks. Inbox only has two messages so I guess it's the sent stuff clogging it up. Have to upgrade to supporting member I guess.
I have $300 on the gift card, limited to that website I didn't see finnex I don't think, but I believe they had coralife T5 fixtures. Just trying to spend free money, could get an RO unit instead.
I was really hoping to find the 30b cause of the height but I won't cry if it has to be a 40.

Do they carry the pro model or exotic eseries?
Ps- I'm on it.. stand by..
Just get 2?? I ran 2 on a 40b for a.month until.it cracked and flooded my apt. I moved them to a 30 long, same height as 40b. It produced some great growth from med. Light plants.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
I've been slacking on my build threads, I'm sure no one is crying over it haha.
I stripped and resealed this 40 gal today. That was a first for me but I think I did ok. I'm also working on a foam project and picking up a used 380 emperor hob from a friend for cheap. I want to be ready for the 30% off fish sale in April.
Also sealed tank #7 (10 gal to be used for breeding) and set up tank #8 (15L)-dirted and capped with some sweet plants from Fresh.
That's my update the end.

What lighting will you using on this tank? I read the first page and then skipped back to the end ?
Let me know if star repens are in your plans. Also, I told you about the Ludwidgia growing like gangbusters after I made a shipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you have plants I'm happy to take them! For this 40g I'm gonna run with Brooksters suggestion to stay low tech with some crypts, val, etc, I changed my whole build plan...but hoping the new 15 takes off.
And to answer the original question, I think the guy that gave it to me has a T8 fixture for it he will give me for free. Otherwise CFLs you know how I roll!

Low tech makes things easier. Those CFLs should help though.
Stars will grow in low light, just very slowly. Have not tried blyxa japonica in lower light yet but it may work for you. Ditti on the Ludwigia sp red. I may have some plants available soon.
As brookster mentioned, you will have decent results with crypts; several/many types to choose from. Same with anubias and Java Fern.

Yeah I have some plants jotted down for the 40. Going to try to keep some bigger leafed stuff in there that gets sizeable. Ah java fern. I either yellow it to death or it's infested with BBA. Can't win with that so far weirdly enough. I was using the 5g for clippings but they're all suffering some kind of deficiency even though my WC and dosing schedule is the same as my 15. Not nearly the same bioload though.

The tank seal job I did was leak tested today. Success!! Feeling pretty proud of myself. It's finally up on the stand.
Also got some of my foam work done for the decor. On to the cement stage! Hoping to have this thing ready by mid April.

The tank seal job I did was leak tested today. Success!! Feeling pretty proud of myself. It's finally up on the stand.
Also got some of my foam work done for the decor. On to the cement stage! Hoping to have this thing ready by mid April.

With the foam...I detect a renfair theme? Or is this a secret build? ?

I'm doing an experiment in my 10 gal low tech with blyxa japonica. I will report on how it goes. It's such a cool plant! It would be a great contrast to crypts and anubius.

With the foam...I detect a renfair theme? Or is this a secret build? ?

No secrets haha, just not ready to post pics until I'm sure it turns out decent. If I end up scrapping it no sense in making myself look silly ;)
Got a couple of plants ready for this tank too. I was also thinking of:
Echinodorus Osiris
Ruffled swords
If I can find any.

Aren't those the worst?! Atleast your delay is cure time, my stand build is $$ delay.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Perhaps a wahhhhsicle?? Or a. Time machine :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Egg did you plant this tank yet and are you still using dirt? Thinking about switching my tank to dirted w/ a sand cap, and was wondering how things went/any tips

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I havent done much yet, changes my plans up so I'm working on some decor I don't think I'm going to dirt this one.
I did end up dirting my empty 15 and capping with sand (clay too). Plants so far are looking good but still really cloudy at this point. I'll post some more when there's progress :)

Figured I'd give ya an update. I picked up a marineland emporer and strip light for $20, tank is cleaned, stripped, sealed, leak tested, on the stand. I put down a foam base and then loaded in the substrate.
I need to get some plants but for now just working on the decor. I grabbed some rocks and boiled some wood pieces from outside so I have some options. Still a lot of cement work/paint/sealing to do but here's the preview:

Back
Top Bottom