70 gallon questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

connorilles14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just bought a 70 gallon off kijiji for 80 bucks with stand. My first question is will it be to heavy to put on the second floor if my house or will it be okay? Second question is what's my best option for a filter, I don't want to get a canister because I don't have that much extra cash. What's my best bet for a HOB filter?

When it's filled, the tank will probably weigh around 700 pounds so I wouldn't rush it on the second floor.

It all depends on the age of construction really. I've got 100 gallons on a 3rd floor but the house was built in 1940 when a 2x6 was a real 2x6. If you're a renter, you really need to check with what's in your lease and his rules. I have a renters ins policy that specifically covers any damage from my tanks in the event of a problem.

I wouldn't put anything bigger than a 55 gallon on a second floor. I've read somewhere that anything past a 55 could cause problems. Better to be safe than sorry. As far as HOB filter options I would probably get 2 of them rather than just 1. Aqua clears are good or marineland bio wheel are good as well. I know a canister might be expensive but in the long run they are amazing for bigger tanks.

I am not sure about putting it on the second floor, but I'd imagine if you are able to place it correctly over the floor beams...you wouldn't have any trouble.

As for filtration, I'm partial to the Emperor filters by Marineland. I have two Emperor 400s on my 60 gallon and it's more than enough filtration. I've also read great things about Aqua Clear filters.

I wish I still had my pair of emperor filters from my salt water days. Got em super cheap and they work amazingly well. Haven't had any luck finding any on Craigslist these days. They're so dang expensive, I had no idea! No wonder they worked so well...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also, I have a 65g tall on my second floor. It's close to a corner and right up next to some of the main support beams in the center of the house.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Of it seams if I place my tank up against a load bearing wall running perpendicular to the floor joist I should be okay?

Of it seams if I place my tank up against a load bearing wall running perpendicular to the floor joist I should be okay?

You will have better support that way for sure. That's how I have my large tanks set up. When I move next year, I'm specifically looking for a house plan that has a main living area with a concrete slab for a base. That way I can setup my 265 DT and then the smaller tanks on the second level.

Back
Top Bottom