72 Bowfront - need a smidgen of help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdw1731

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all and happy new Year. Tis been a long time since I've posted last.

I got a new tank for christmas and it is cycling now and hopefully will be ready in a week or 2 (which is cool because i'm broke now). Anywho, the first question I have is about my cycle (wow that sounds weird) . My ammo is zeroing out from 4pp every day while my trites and trates are staying high, really high. Even with a few huge water changes, I wasn't able to drop the reading. It's been a minute since I last cycled a tank and I want to make sure that things are going well a tad more patience is the magic bean here.

Secondly, I got the tank with the idea of doing african cichlids. I got crushed coral in the bottome and an okay amount of rocks that I bought and found (and scrubbed and boiled). But as I keep reading, I think i'm getting a case of cold feet as cichlid temperment is not the same as other fish. With my pH at 8.2 and a tank completely barren of vegetation, is it too late to think of doing a different kind of fish, lots of tetras and what not?

If it is to late or if you just want to say get over it and jump into the deep end, what would be a good species to start stocking with? Especially since my money tree out back died, I'll have to stock a few at a time until I get a decent amount. The only one I am pretty sure about is Labs but I want more color than just yella, ya know.

As for preperation of cichlids, I have in the tank 2- 250 watt heaters and 2 Fluval canisters (a 406 and a 306) so I think i'm good to go there. Should I add bubbles/aeration?

Any and all advice will be appreciated simply becasue you took the time to to respond. Thank you:thanks:

Your filtration is fine, and you should be fine sticking with your original plan.You don't need to add aeration. Since you added crushed coral, switching away from Africans , might be a little work and you would probably want to remove the crushed coral. Contrary to what is often repeated here and elsewhere, Rift Lake cichlids do not need high pH to thrive. They do quite well at pHs in the low 7s.
So, since you want lots of colour, sticking with your regular will give you that, and hopefully, someone with more experience with Malawis can advise you about species mix to avoid compatability problems and still get the colour you want.

Back
Top Bottom